• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Ace's Buttery Flutterball

Started by Ace, June 15, 2006, 17:20 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

You know, I haven't tried cutting the IDE cable with a butcher's knife...

Well, after the firmware install and trying every type of disk I have (except slipped) and even trying it off the CD's IDE plug it refuses to spin or read.  I mean, at least one of those could get it on "So You Think You Can Dance" or "Jeopardy"...

I'm not only going to tell it it's ok to die but I'm going to help it along...  

Maybe I can copy the CD drive.. and then rename the file "DVD" and then that could work.  

ace; or burn it.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

If the CD drive works, why don't you just take it out and forget it.  Your brother in law doesn't need it anyway.

Bill; no sense in losing more hair.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Bill, the only hair I'm going to lose is on my arms.  Well, and knuckles.  Ok, and chest.  Criminy, I'd have to color it to see it anyway...

Guys, you might want to sit down.  That is, if you tend to stand at your computer.  If you're already sitting, then grab the arms of your desk chair or someone else for a moment.  Here's the update:

I fixed the DVD player.

I removed it.  I powered it to open it.  I removed the bottom panel.  I tried to remove the front, but it didn't seem to think that was a good idea.  I swabbed with rubbing alcohol.  Johnny, you woulda been proud of me; I sprayed contact cleaner in it.  

And it works.  Played Madden on it.  Put a music cd in it.  If I wasn't here the whole time, I wouldn't believe it.

I still haven't gotten the floppy to activate, but that's even more in the theme Bill presented of "My Brother In Law Can Live Without It."  The only real real advantage of having BOTH the DVD and CD/RW is burning a disk directly.  Otherwise, yeah, one pretty much does it.

I actually am going to bundle and tie off the cables, and seal this thing up.. It's been laid open more than a character on CSI or Crossing Jordan or the one with Mark Harmon and Ilya Kuryakin where they always have this weird glowing light on the corpse's groin area...  Personally, I've never had that experience, and I sure don't want to be dead to have to have it.

You know, I remember Elvira being asked once if she smoked after sex and she said "I don't know; next time I'll have to look."  

Ace; I am giddy as a school boy.  And boy does my Northbridge Fan hum along happily.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

I was sitting down. After reading your poast, I promptly stood up then passed out.

Scuzzy; ouch
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bill

Three cheers for the Master Geek!  Hip, hip,   wait, no sense in giving him a big head.  I'm sure everyone is overjoyed.  No more DVD Blues.  Hey that could be song.  Break out the Stratocaster.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Well, no.. I don't want to break the Stratocaster.  I just played it, but those things are hard to break.  That's why Pete Townsend stopped playing one, although he does now.

Which reminds me; there should be a commandment "THOU SHALT NOT ATTEMPT TO REUNITE AND TOUR ANY BAND WHICH HAS LOST ALL BUT TWO MEMBERS".  No "Who" Tour, with 2 guys... and Beatles Reunion.  I'm sorry, it's not them.  And no reunion of The Them, since nobody knew who they are anway.

Feeling bold, I just tried the DVD again and It Still Works.  Go figure.  I shall now order a new computer and go through The Whole Stinking Reinstallment Mess Again.  

Ace; I must like Square One a lot.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

But wait.  The reason you (we, well, they) did all that research and pricing and discussing SLI and dual core perfomance vs. single core and low latency memory and all that stuff I don't understand anyway, was BECAUSE your computer stopped working.  Now that it is working, in all its former glory,  you can go back to playing Nearly Summer (or was it Ever Winter,) just like before.

You can spend that money on a better leaf blower (I'd recommend Stihl) to move more of the snow or one of those nifty, blow-up lawn decorations you have always admired.  Geez.

Bill

Ace

Well, no... see, the thing is, because it failed me and wasn't faithful and turned on me and broke down in my time of need, and stuff.. I, uh, I need to Punish it.  Yes.  I need to make it PAY FOR THE TORMENT IT CAUSED ME yes.  I need to send it away, to never darken my door again, and I will wipe the dust of its dustbin off my sandals and say Nevermore! Will you betray me again, you ingrate stupid malfunctioning thing. You.

Yes.  So I must get a New one, to wash clean the sins of this one, on me.  To me.  Toward me.  Directed pretty much at my person. By it.

Ok. So; back to my shopping, then.

Ace; troublemaker.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Ok, 'nuf said.

So poast the shopping list in the other thread "You guys do all the thinking and work and I'll just buy it when you're finished," so we can pick apart your selections.

Bill

scuzzy

Talk about Ace?s flatulent butterfly, now my DVD-RW has given up the ghost. I disassembled my NEC ND-3540A R/W and cleaned it to no avail.

A new ND-3550A replacement is already on order from NewEgg.

Scuzzy; Thanks for nuthin', Ace. This is your fault.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Well, geez Louise, if you'd just mail it to me I'd have it up and running in no time.  I sympathize with your lack of technical wherewithall, but that's why I'm here.

And while I'm at it, I'll seat your memory correctly and get that testy northbridge fan of yours working.

Maybe even defrost the freezer in your front yard.  Is it hot there?  Well, then that won't take much time.

Ace; JesterGeek.  Now, that's a paradox.
Ring bells for service.