• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Idol '09

Started by Bill, March 04, 2009, 06:59 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark H

Quote from: JA on March 26, 2009, 21:12 hrs
Megan Too Joy covered her right arm tonight.. for Mark.

That was a big help and helped her beauty remain unscathed. Unfortunately for her, it doesn't help her singing.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Mark H

I do remember Smokey giving some contstructive advice. He told Michael Saver to belt out his song with authority rather than sing it in a more reserved way. He also told Danny Gokey to sing part of the chorus himself rather than have the chorus sing it.

Mark H

Bill

On top of that, his performance wasn't as good as some of the contestants.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Mark H

Another round of idol will be in less than 24 hours from now.

Mark H; Will Megan prove she still can't sing or will she prove that theory wrong?

Mark H

Adam Lambert
Danny Gokey
Lil Rounds / Matt

I can't say I am sold on Allison yet.

Mark H; The problem with Idol is it is an opinion poll.

Mark H

I have always thought the voting should be once per phone number. If you text from a cell phone, that would count as coming from the cell phone number. I think it unfair that people vote over and over for the same person.

Mark H

Bill

Interestingly enough, Dancing with the Stars limits the number of votes from any one mode (cell, land line or computer) to the number of remaining contestants. 

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Popularity is an opinion.
Since every week involves eliminating someone, I'm for voting for whom to eliminate.  It makes more sense to get rid of the unworthy riffraff than try to figure who's best amongst the good.

I think voting per passion is justifiable. I buy music based on what I'm passionate about, not about what makes the best intellectual sense...  Pretty much when I do have a radio on I vote the way I described, which is a process of elimination of jumping around stations till I find one that doesn't annoy me as much.  Hence; the playing of CDs I've bought or CDs I've burned from what I've bought.  It's rare I'm turned off by those.

There's little in life that's as bogus as pop music.  From the days of manipulation via Payola to today's "everything's alternative" market, it's never been a fair playing field.  I'm sure many feel that there's mostly crap on the radio, and can't believe certain artists and tunes aren't heard.  As far as Idol, what's the real popularity these days of Fantasia?  Bo Bice?  Justin Guarino? Even Ruben Studdard?  How many people actually think Clay Aiken won that year...?  I don't think I've heard anything on the air from David Cook or David Archuleta.

I'd have to think Gokey and Scott are getting huge bumps just from sympathy votes, and people who simply "like" them as people.  Voting for the widower and the blind guy just for those reasons isn't unexpected.  And heck, there might be somebody out there who'd vote against somebody just because one arm is hideously vandalized...  (hey, there's a contestant every year just for the fans of picturesque one-armed women).

Voting blocks have proven to run roughshod over the show... the Sanjaya and "Island" votes on some years, or the cute girl/guy boost.  And what happens is the "winner" is the least unique or special or idiosyncratic one; for which MOR has been the standard of the industry.

Ace; MOR = MUZAK more times than not.
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

Megan's tatoo was in full swing today and her singing was once again worse than everyone else's with Anoop and Lil Rounds being in the bottom three as well in my opinion. Matt might replace Lil in the bottom three, but I think Anoop and Megan will definitely be in the bottom three.

Mark H

Ace

I am now of an opinion that Megan Joy is just truly strange.  Weird.  Not in a good way.  I'm not sure what "style" she's trying to project, but it's not of this earth.  Sort of like Peggy Lee and Eartha Kitt having a love child with ... well, some guy who runs a tattoo parlor.  Or Rosie O'Donnell.  Something like that.

I thought Anoop was embarrassing and Lil projected what had to be the largest mouth I've seen since "The Joker."  She has gotten louder than heck, but it's ceased to become singing.

I'll tell you who I thought was sad:  my fave Alison.  When I was a kid I had one of those troll dolls, with the freaky frizzy hair and the sorta pushed-in face.  And boy, did she resemble it last night.  Add in the lame vocals and bizarre fashion statement and I was left with "What the..?" as my response.

Scott M. was ok, although he has a strange way of warbling things . I didn't get much from Gokey, again.  Adam's funky whiteboy thing was somewhat painful, but definitely energetic.  Even though he pretty much stopped singing with a minute to go, and then just went where only dogs hear.  I hope they liked it.  I think Taylor Hicks did "Play that Music" but he has the funk of ... Randy Jackson.

Matt was a mistake.  Boy, did that bring back his "copy Coldplay" earlier real time error.  What a cheesy, ill-thought imitation of someone with charisma.  The girls crowded around looked like they wished they could've stayed in their seats.  Chris was cool; that guy has his head and throat on straight.

Ace; Megan can sing in a cozy jazz club.  On Mars.
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

No more Tatoos for this years season of Idol and I am happy about that, although I could tolerate Carly Smithson since she could actually sing. I also thought she was prettier and not as quirkey as Megan. I still didn't like her tatoos though.

Mark H; Tatoo free just like it should be for season 8!

Bill

Even though last night's last ditch performance by Scott was better than the previous night, I think he had become, or maybe simply is, less than stellar.  Voters and the judges made the right decision, IMO.

Bill

Mark H

I agree that Scott should have been the one going, so America did get it right this week.

Mark H

Bill

I think it was an outstanding performance, but they ran out of air time and Simon giving him a standing O was shorter and quicker than a wordy explanation.

Bill

Mark H

You can see Adam Lambert's performance here if you missed it.

Mark H

Ace

Adam is a star.  You know, there've been some special moments through the years on Idol... Clay Aiken's "Unchained Melody".  Cat McPhee's "Black Horse and Cherry Tree" and "Over the Rainbow."  David Cook's "Billie Jean."  The ones where you watch and listen and go "Holy.... Wow."  And I think Adam has had three this year already, and even the funky white guy thing was unusual.  

Scott M. burned out; probably the wrong time to go to the change up and show his "versatility" to plunder through a big hair 80's run of the mill rock ballad.  And not that he plays guitar badly, but the barre chord strumming just didn't add anything, except make him look stiff and awkward.  And thank goodness Simon's calling an end to the girls' pity party that seems to be standard fare.."Oh, we like him and should we save him..?" missing the whole point of why he's in trouble in the first place, plus beg the question "Do you actually think he's going to WIN???!"  Geez Louise.

Actually, I would have put Lil off this week.  What a derivative, stubborn, nothing in particular.  At least Scott, like Blondie the piano player last year, is unique.  Otherwise: Kris/Chris was mobbed and had no room to breathe, let alone sing. And a reggae Eagles version isn't necessary.  Gokey is on autopilot, and loves songs that don't require much singing.  Justin Timberlake 2.0 ought to ditch the hat... and impersonation.  Alison was back in her zone; I do not like Bonnie Raitt at all, but criminy did she do more with that tune than ever has been.  Her voice has so much depth and texture, I'm fanned.  Anoop could record tapes to help people go to sleep... I mean, there wasn't anything in ruining a good Cyndy Lauper tune that he didn't already croon on the show.  It's like he's either rap boy goofy or toned down dreary, with no decent middle ground.

But I'll tell ya, Adam pulling out that song, in that way, which is unlike anything ever heard ever, was the BOMB!  As Randy would say.

Ace; and Kelly Pickler does country, but who can't, you know?
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Last night was generally a disappointment and I definitely didn't care for the judging "teams."  I would have liked to hear the opinions of the 2 that were not "working" for a particular artist. 

IMO, Danny or Matt are on the exclusion list this week.

On the other hand, I did enjoy the news story about the 47 year old on Brittan's (?) got Talent.  Now there was a woman that can sing!

Bill

Mark H

Four judges just is not working. It takes up too much time and eliminates a real possiility of guest judges. I think the reason Fox did this is that Paula is leaving at the end of this season and Kara willl be the replacement. This puts the judges back to three. Of course Simon may leave at the end of next season and that will kill Idol.

I believe that they should have had Simon comment on all the contestants since he is the most relevant person on the panel. I didn't like his comments to Lil though since she did make an effort to change this week. To criticise her about the song is fine, but don't tell her that it is the same problem as the last 8 weeks.

Mark H

Ace

I think Simon was seething, in having to listen and not be able to respond half the time.. I'd agree he's the only one that needs to talk.  I liked Chris' quiet moment, and not sure why Randy was so down on that.  Even with the time constraints they went over (go figure). 

I really find Anoop pretty much worthless; he could be the new Pat Boone... he's got a "nice" voice but just doesn't do anything that's out of the ordinary.  I'm glad I don't own a dog, since Adam hit notes that would have set it off...  I used to play "Born To Be Wild" and although it's one of his "odd" biweekly ones (Ring of Fire, Play that Funky Music) it was unusual and definitely not what anyone's ever done or heard.  I do wish he would have done "Crying Game" instead though.  The "performance" pieces are spectacular but I like to hear him sing (as well as wail...).

Lil was better; I was really afraid she'd pull out some Whitney Houston entry.  Seems like Simon's just got her pigeon holed and is past caring...  Danny or Matt can go too, as far as I care.  Matt's weird falsetto take-offs are just distracting (compared to Adam's siren that pins me back to the couch).

I liked Allison, but heck I usually do.  I have to figure there are some real movie nuggets out there that these guys missed... Like:
"He Rode A Blazing Saddle" from the movie of the same name.
"Gold Finger" or "Live and Let Die" or some other dorky Bond song.  Shoot, Chris Cornell's from the one before last.
Theme from Dr. Zhivago.  Or Star Wars.  I remember Bill Murray singing that...
"Fiddler on the Roof."  Something from "Tommy."  Has to be 2 or 5 Phil Collins movie themes out there.  In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was featured in "Live and Die in LA."  Heck, that was a good movie title song too. 
I'll think of more.

Ace; and hopefully keep them to myself.
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

Bond songs would have been great with the bond girls doing the background vocals.

Mark H; I have all the James Bond DVDs in our DVD library.

Ace

You know, that reminds me.  When a kid, my brother and I went to buy the single (geez, remember those...) for Goldfinger.  Now, I wanted the John Barry instrumental version. Instead, we somehow picked up the Shirley Bassey vocal version.  Yiiiiiikes....  What a mistake on our part.  Not quite the same...

Since they showed so many clips of Pulp Fiction maybe they could've done "Songs From Quentin Tarantino Movies." Like Dick Dale surf tunes (or any other instrumentals). 

Speaking of dinner and movies, I did see the "Quantum of Solace."  I fell asleep.

Ace; not like I don't do that during most home movies anyway...
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

I am just glad the save was used. I got tired of the show the judges did as if they were really considering a save. I hope they get rid of the save next season and go back to three judges.

Mark H; I actually like Jennifer Hudson, but Miley Cyrus can stay off of my TV too.

Buffalo2102

OK, this has gone on long enough without any input from Buff, so here goes........

You guys have far too much time on your hands.  What with watching all this telly and then poasting about it on here, it is a wonder anything else gets done over there.

Buff; jealous 'cos he's been doing lot's of DIY......
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Buffalo2102

Don't you hate it when people refer to themselves in the third person?

Buff;  :-[
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Bill

Actually, there is a lot getting done over here; however most of it is not good, IMO.

The last time Hudson was on Idol she was booted.  Shoulda' stayed that way.  Just another performer whose elocution is terrible.  And, if Cyrus were a contestant, she would have lost; with an achey breaky voice.

Bill;bring on the BeeGees.

Mark H

I bet Simon was thinking that there was no way he would have approved Miley Cyrus going to Hollywood. Jennifer Hudson is a very good singer, but I didn't care for the song she sung on idol.

Buff - I have plenty of time on my hands, because thanks to this recession I have been unemployed since January 5th!

Mark H; At least I have an excuse for the time I waste.

Bill

Everyone has their "15 minutes" of celebrity.

Bill

Ace

If Ace was here, he would suggest Jennifer Hudson seems adept as a stage performer but wouldn't see her as a particularly intriguing recording artist... he thinks she projects ok, but couldn't imagine buying anything from her. 

He imagines Simon got sick of the women clamoring every week for whomever to be saved. And figured he might as well get it over with, and waste it on Matt (who, you gotta figure, is doomed anyway..).  Miley Montana is a waste of time.  Right up there with Taylor Swift, in his book.

For the Bee Gees, he prefers the old stuff when they were young.  "Odessa" was their pinnacle in his estimation (sort of their "Sgt. Pepper's").  The Disco stuff was actually at a frequency even above Adam's range. 

He finds it rude when people yell QWERTY keystrokes, in public.

Ace; he has no excuses.
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

Taylor Swift is another one that would not last on Idol. I think that even Miley Cyrus is better than Taylor Swift and that isn't saying much.

Mark H; Gone with Swift and Cyrus!

Ace

I figured I'd make my predictions before tonight's show, although it'd probably be easier if I waited.

Gotta go/paybacks are heck:  Matt and Lil.  The Redundancy Committee in Charge of Redunancy can have both sing at their convention.  Stink/Stank/Stunk, as the Grinch would sing.  The Statue of Limitations on Matt's save has run out.  Lil probably could have gone with "Brick House" for disco week, considering her posterior.  They both reminded me about how lousy Disco was.  I think she gave new meaning to the term "pitchy."

Shoot, I thought Disco died at Comiskey Park, anyway.  Why'd they have to go and bring that back....

Final 3: Adam, Alison, Kris, Danny.  With Anoop, and Danny, soon to follow Matt and Lil.  From bad, to boring.  Anoop should do "sleep walk" and Danny is eventually just going to stand there and let the background singers carry the WHOLE song.  They both have decent voices, but geez louise they're not raising their game.  Just going through the motions.

Adam is a phenom.  I have never heard anyone/anything like him.  Last night was stunning, much as the "Mad World" take.  The only singers I can think that remotely resemble him are Roy Orbison (but without the range, actually), and Brenda Lee and k.d. lang.  The emotion and delivery are actually more like some noteworthy females than any guy I've ever heard; it's not a falsetto he's in, that's his honest to gosh range and I believe there's not a note he can't hit (low, to high).  That and the intensity and cleverness and originality and emotion put him in a place no one goes...  I'd hope for Alison in the final two, as another incredible voice (way beyond her years...).  I really respect Kris; this guy is better than Dave Matthews or John Mayer and others of that ilk, and his take on redoing songs is impressive. 

Ace; I'd buy something from any of the 3.  But I'd buy two, if it's from Adam.
Ring bells for service.