• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, December 06, 2000, 09:40 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

That's an odd problem. However, I have an idea if you're willing to give it a try. I know the work involved with formatting a hard drive and reinstalling Windows, so I do have sympathy for you.

• Re-format the hard drive again using the command FORMAT C: /U (the U ensures nothing is saved), then restart the computer.

• After reformatting, create a new directory (folder) called WIN98SE on your hard drive.

• Now, copy the Windows installation files from the CD to your hard. The command is: COPY x:\WIN98\*.*  y:\WIN98SE (Where x: is your CD-ROM, and y: is the hard drive letter.) This will take up about 121MB on your hard drive.

• Now, go to the WIN98SE on your hard drive and enter SETUP to install Windows *directly* from your hard drive. (You can take the CD out.)

If you have your hard drive partitioned, then it's a good idea to place the WIN98SE directory on a drive other than C.

This will make for a smooth installation of Windows, plus it has the added benefit that you won't have to track down the CD during the installation of certain programs.

Also, look for my FDisk instructions in the Tips and Tricks forum (on our forum's main page) to partition your hard drive. You may want to use FDisk before you bother reformatting.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

QQQ

Hi,

I am afraid I have more questions than assistance at this point.

Which backup program are you trying to install?

I searched my 98se cd and cannot find that file.  The only reference to it was on my hard drive (C:\Windows\Help).

scuzzy

Hey QQQ,

If it's the file I think it is, you won't find it on the CD. Well, not exactly, anyway, because it is compressed in one of the CAB files on the Win98 CD. During installation, the file is extracted and placed on the hard drive. Anyway, that's what it's suppose to do.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0> (The real Scuzzy)
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

query

In Windows98SE, it's in the win98_24.cab, file, and you can extract it using the "extract" command.  That's done from a command line (or you can simply right-click on it if you have PowerDesk loaded).

PowerDesk is a utility from Ontrack (used to be Mijenix) which adds a lot of functionality to the desktop explorer.  There's a free version and a commercial version - I believe both versions have the .cab viewer/extractor, so you don't have to mess with the command line (unless you want to ...)

alero_man

My laptop was running slow so I decided to reformat my c drive backing up my important files, but now i cant retrieve my backup files cause my backup program will not install when i try to add the program through  the control panel i get the message

The file 'msbackup.chm" on windows 98 second-edition CD-ROM cannot be found

Instert Windows 98 second edition CD-ROM in the selected drive, and click ok

The Cd is in the drive but im getting no where can someone help me please