• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

AdAware 6.0

Started by Neon, February 05, 2003, 20:08 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Neon

AdAware 6.0 Standard edition, a major new release from Lavasoft, is now available. The Pro and Plus versions have been available for a couple of weeks already.

AdAware scans your computer for spyware, and allows you to eliminate it.

Poasters now has two great spyware scanners available from our downloads page - the aforementioned AdAware 6, and Spybot Search and Destroy. Both programs are recommended by our regular readers.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

scuzzy

Cool. Thanks for the update, Neon. It certainly has a nice interface.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

cowofsteel

I for one heard many things about the new 6.0, i heard that there would be no freeware version for one, also that it wouldn't really have any updated spyware lists and there for was done for. Well i just downloaded the new 6.0 and i must say i am very impressed.  It has a very nice and completely new interface with many new features including automatic updates and of course updated lists of spyware.  They now have 3 versions, the freeware, the plus version, and the profestional. Some of the features come on the other two that do not come on the freeware (duh) like the new feature adwatch. This is like Nortons Auto Protect for spyware.  It catches it before it installs and delets it.  Well i for one am all for the new 6.0 and i think your crazy if you dont have it or some other spyware remover.  Poast your thoughts on the new 6.0 here.
Athlon XP 2000+ / ABIT KR7A-133 / Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200 / Audgey Gamer / 80 gig Western Digital / smart&silent Volcano 9 Heatsink

cyanide

I just downloaded it I had 5.08 version, your right it looks and works nice, thanks for the heads up.

poast78

Does this one actually have a "back" function on it?  It was really annoying with previous versions, deciding to (say) delete some, but not all, then after changing your mind having to go though an entire rescan.
Don't eat that.

scuzzy

I doesn't have a specific "Back" button, but it does have a menu on the left that allows you to jump back to the beginning.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

query

If you are going to use AdAware 6, you might want to be careful with deleting what it finds - I've seen three cases in the last week where AdAware deleted spyware, leaving the system unable to connect to a network - we had to remove and re-install the network protocols and drivers to get the system to work again.  It appears to be quite aggressive in what it finds and deletes.

pat

My 2cents.
I pretty much lost faith with Adaware when they abandoned their users with no updates to their reference files for several months. This wasn?t just the free version, but also for those who bought and paid for a program. I can?t imagine any of the major antivirus vendors thinking they could pull that off without taking a bit hit in their customer base.

I took a look at the new version and although only time will tell how good of a job it does, I think it is geared towards getting you to buy their enhanced versions. They are, after all, in the business of selling a product, so I really can?t fault that.

My vote goes to the Spybot Search and Destroy program. I think it does a superior job as well as does a better job at telling you what the various bots are and how they affect your system. You can search for registry inconsistencies as well as usage tracking it also gives control over start-up entries. That?s just some of the features found in this program that I don?t see in Adaware.

Although Adaware may be back on track, I recommend taking a look at the Spybot program.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

query

CNET has a new review up - that agrees that Spybot Search and Destroy is the program of choice in this market.

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-8888-8-20866869-1.html

UKPC

Hey

I really like the new Adaware, i had v.5 and that was a good program, but v.6 it looks really nice and works well. I alos really like Spybot, i think that is a neat program as well.

I would recommend both.

MSI MS-6380 v2 K7T266 Pro2 via DDR Socket A |Coolermaster Socket A upto AMD XP1900 Fan/He|AMD Athlon XP 1600|Philips CRDW1610K 16x10x40|3D Power GeForce2 MX400 TV 64mb AGP OEM|384 MB 184Pin DIMM PC2100 DDR RAM|Taxan Ergovision 735 TCO99|Windows XP Pro|Alcatel ADSL Modem|Iomega Zip 100

Zero

So does spybot have an update facility with the freeware version? as I know the adaware does not.

query

Zero

Is it spyware that could be causing aggresive advertising popups on my sysytem. I even get one that claims to stop popups!!!

pat

It could be, do you have firewall software installed?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

query

More likely it is all the open RPC ports (including the one used by Windows Messenger), rather than spyware, though that could be an issue.

You can try manually closing ports, but with Windows it's a losing battle - install a firewall (Zone Alarm, Sygate, Tiny, Norton Internet Security, McAfee Firewall, etc.) and it'll take care of the messenger popups -- along with all the other intrusions you may not necessarily be noticing.

Neon

The freeware version of Ad-Aware does indeed offer free updates to the spyware definintions, as does Spybot - S&D. They would be utterly useless programs without that feature.

In Ad-aware 6.0 Personal, from the starting status display, there is a link "Check for updates now" located near the lower right area of the display. When it is clicked, it brings up the update interface from which you can connect to the adaware server to check for updates.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Zero

Thanks Neon
Adaware does indeed have an update site. It is some of the other features that requires the pro version. I thought it a bit useless to not be able to update. Spose new spyware must come out as regular as new viruses.

Zero

I now have Zonealarm running and have not had a popup since, so that seems to have sorted that out.I have not ran a firewall before now  as I was told in the past that I did not really need one with my 56 k dial up connection and that my IP address changed frequently thus was not likely to be hacked and it would slow my connection down. However, so far it seems to working fine at stoping popups so it stays. Thanks again to the poasters community for help and advice.