• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Taking the time to say thanks...

Started by scuzzy, September 16, 2003, 18:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

It seems appropriate to provide a forum for people to express their thoughts about Poasters.

Most people who come through our doors seem to appreciate the help they receive at Poasters. Unfortunately, we occasionally get the uneducated, thoughtless boob who only knows how to complain. Nonetheless, it's great when someone takes the time to acknowledge the help they got here.

I'll kick this off by saying that I truly appreciate the many people who have bent over backwards to help those in need here. Our moderators have freely given their free time to assist others, as well as keeping this forum clean. (For those of you who might wish to be a moderator, I assure you that this is a difficult task.)

Many people are not aware that this forum always runs in the red. Nobody sponsors us, and you don't see any "in your face" ads here. All our moderators are volunteers. We have no paid staff, including the administrators. So, the occassional thanks really goes a long way.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

I would also like to take a moment here to say thanks. Especially to the administrators who keep the bills paid and this site up and running.
Forget about what you?ve heard, the internet is not free.

I have really learned a lot from all you folks. Indeed it seems like something new pops up every day, it?s like exercise for the mind. More importantly I?ve learned how a group of selfless individuals can band together to help folks out without asking for anything in return.
It has been and continues to be a great experience. Sure we get the occasional jerk, but hey, that?s life. Some folks just don?t know how to be nice people, I feel sorry for them.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

JimS

I found Poasters back in August 1999, a few weeks after I bought my Quantex (remember them?) and as the company was going down the tubes.  More times than can be counted, I've been helped here, both by responses to my poasts and by reading the poasts of others.  I've occasionally even been able to contribute (or detract - matter of opinion here...) to poasts.  I lurk daily, picking up tips every time.

I've always appreciated the very existence of Poasters, and marvel at the knowledge shared here.  Query, you're always here, always helping, and if there's a such thing as a walking encylopedia, you're it.  Neon, Chandler, Pat, Scuzzy, David and others have provided me with sound advice, and stayed with me though numerous problems.  I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Ace.  I envy your ability with words.  I too resent the unappreciative idiots who write so poorly that one can't understand what the problem is, yet expect fast responses and are rude when it doesn't come as they expect.  I've learned to bite my lip with them...

I admit I've never thought about the financial side of this board.  You're right, there's no banner ads, no pop-up ads.  Since I've learned that Poasters gets a small amount for every time someone click on a sponsor's site, I've made sure I order this way (I ordered some Crucial memory a few weeks ago).  So I learn Poasters runs in the red; who is footing the bills?

Again, my sincere thanks, appreciation and admiration for those who've made this site possible, and who make it continue.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Ace

Well, finally, someone hit the nail on the head.
Ouch.

Otherwise, I too would bend over backwards but I know Scuzzy would firmly plant his foot there so I try to keep my distance...  I'd try biting my lip, too, but I do that often enough during meals I don't think I can factor in any excess damage.  I do remember Quantex, and maybe it was because they were using tubes instead of solid state they collapsed...

I got with the program back in 96 or 97 I think it was, trying to figure out what kind of computer to even buy.  I decided on Quantex mostly due to the openness of this original forum.  I remember Scuzzy went with Dell, instead.  In hindsight (easier when bending backwards...) I shoulda probably done the same.   But I was impressed that a Dell owner could hang out in the Quantex section, and offer his 2 cents, which was worth more back then.  I feel it ironic that I now take part here with the same degree of "what the heck are you even doing here" aplomb.

I guess the financial hardship explains why I haven't received a paycheck, as the Jester.  Also, that I always get my money's worth here.  Actually, someone else's money's worth.  I think contributing dues would be in order; what's a good contribution?

ace; heck, maybe I can even get a raise if I put in some money.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Quote from: JimS on September 17, 2003, 12:52 hrs
I admit I've never thought about the financial side of this board.  You're right, there's no banner ads, no pop-up ads.  Since I've learned that Poasters gets a small amount for every time someone click on a sponsor's site, I've made sure I order this way (I ordered some Crucial memory a few weeks ago).  So I learn Poasters runs in the red; who is footing the bills?

The two administrators share the bills, and we pay out of our pockets. However, last year we received donations from some of our moderators which really helped ease the burden. We do on occasion receive ad revenue, but it's always a small amount. We have so far earned just over $50 for this entire year, which includes some sales from last year.

I poast this only as information. Trust me, we're not complaining. I feel fortunate that we're able to provide this forum, and remain very grateful for those who are so willing to give their time.

I am also very grateful for Neon who is so willing share the responsibility of maintaining this forum. I might add that he never asks for anything in return. This is a rare group, indeed.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

Huh. A funny thing happened on the way to the zoo.

In today's mail was an ad revenue check. Nothing big (as usual), but nonetheless a blessing. I thank those who make it happen.

Neon

Between Crucial and Panda Antivirus, our poasters generate about 30 clickthroughs a month, and one or two sales. It's great that many folks clicked through Poasters to buy their memory and antivirus. I appreciate that you think of Poasters before making those purchases.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Igloo

if i am building a computer, i allways try those sites first as it helps pay for the forum, and i buy from there if i can, keep it up, you ae all awesome, but what made you decide to make it, and pay out of your won pockets?? ???
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Neon

If you click the home button up there, ^^^ there you will find a brief synopsis of our origin and history.

Why do we pay for it? Who else is going to pay for it? It's not like we can get a government grant for this... heyyyyy....Scuzzy, you work in government. How about gettin us some of that govmint cheeese?
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

trav

Hey, now, I know I have said this before, but I just think that Poasters and the people here are the greatest :) If poasters wasn't around, i'd cry :'( (no sarcasm) :)
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Mark H

Quote from: Travis F on March 24, 2004, 19:11 hrs
Hey, now, I know I have said this before, but I just think that Poasters and the pepoe here are the greatest :) If poasters wasn't around, i'd cry :'( (no sarcasm) :)

I am offended by being called a pepoe! ;)

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

trav

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D sorry ill fix that
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Igloo

yes,thanks all, what i would do without poasters to solve my problems... well... be about ?900 in dept for technician charges :(
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Carskick

One of the best forums ever, if not THE best forum ever!
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

frenchie47

I must agree with all thats been said. I for one really haven't thought about the cost of running such a forum - call it selfishness, although it's really thoughtlessness..
Having said that, I think every single question I've poasted has received an answer (most of them received many answers). It's saved me an awful lot of time and money,and whilst I have plenty of time  (I hope), being a pensioner, I haven't a lot of money.

Anyway, thanks to all both on the board and members of the forum.