• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Laptop Centrino Wireless Failed?

Started by Buffalo2102, December 19, 2006, 14:22 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo2102

I have a Gateway 3525GB laptop with a Intel Centrino mobile processor running Windows XP Home SP2.  The wireless networking is integrated and it has always worked well until today.  The laptop was left open while I was downloading some demos and patches but while I was away the kitten decided to sit on the warm keyboard.  When I got back to the machine, all sorts of applications were open including Microsoft Narrator and many iterations of the Help and Support Centre.

Anyway, I closed everything down but have not been able to see any available wireless networks since.  I have tried resetting the network connections, deleting and reinstalling the wireless network adapter and lastly I have done a complete reinstall of the operating system.  I have tried rebooting, powering down, removing the battery for a while etc. etc. but still no networks appear in the available networks window.  I know that both my wireless network and the neighbours' are available as they appear on my desktop.

Any ideas?  Am I right in saying that the wireless is integral to the processor in a Centrino mobile system and is it possible for the wireless to fail without any further impact on the CPU?

Appreciate any help.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

pat

I?m not sure I can be of much help, but I don?t think the wireless is part of the processor.
See this support document and check the components link, it shows a separate card for the wireless adapter.

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/3000Series/4785nv.shtml

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Buffalo2102

Thanks Pat, that is good help in itself.

I must research more in future - I had looked for this information but only on the UK site which was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

I will try and find the offending card, reseat it and see if that jolts it back to life.  If not, a replacement does not seem to be too expensive so I will try that.

Thanks again,

Buff.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

query

The wireless will either be on a mini PCI card (most likely under a trapdoor at the bottom of the system), or it may be integrated onto the system board.

If it's on a card, the replacement is easily and likely inexpensive.  If it's on the system board and has failed, the replacement will be costly - notebook mainboards run beween $400 or so for a Dell to over $800 for many Toshiba and HPaq models.

Buffalo2102

Well, the good news is that it is a mini-PCI card and the replacement only costs about ?20 ($39).  The even better news is that reseating the board has brought it to life again and I have a fully functioning laptop again.

Thanks Pat.

Buff

pat

Hey, glad you got it sorted out.

We need to get one of those thumbs up emoticons. I'd have used it just now.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64