• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Compaq armada hard drive

Started by Anonymous User, September 12, 2003, 17:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

query

You need the Drive Fitness Test.  Download the file, and run it - having a blank floppy on hand.  It will create a boot floppy.  Reboot the machine from the floppy and run the diagnostics -- they will take some time to do a thorough test.

Anonymous User

That's the problem, my computer doesn't have a floppy disk drive, only the laptop does, and that cant get on the internet

query

If you have no other way to make a bootable disc-test floppy, I would suggest bringing the notebook in for diagnosis and repair, either to a Compaq/HP repair depot if it's under warranty, or to a local shop - one way or the other, you've got to find a way to test the drive.

Anonymous User

I live in a village in the UK though, and there aren't any local repair shops for miles, I dont know of any at all around here, and the laptop is no longer in warrantry :(

query

Well, then you have some choices to make.  If you cannot make the boot floppy to test the drive, you'll have to find someone to help you with that project.   If you can't do that, then the only other option is going to be to contact Compaq/HP support and find a mail-in service depot, or live with the system as is.

Anonymous User

If it helps, I have a friend who can make the disk, so I will be testing that out in about an hour

In the meantime, I have captured the sound the hard drive makes at bootup:

http://games-creation.com/upload/thesound.wav - you may need to use save target as...

Anonymous User

Drive fitness test: On the quick test, it passed, no problems found. I am now running the thorough test

Anonymous User

Just performed a full scandisk as well, no problems found on surface scan, only thing it did pick up were 167 lost closters, which it saved as files. This was MS Dos scandisk.

query

If the drive tests OK, see if Windows will load - if it won't, it's time for a format/reinstall of Windows.

Anonymous User

I cant seem to get the drive test working again? It just accesses the floppy disk, then continues to boot into windows.

After scandisk fixed the lost closters and chains and did the thorough scan, I havent heard any clicks. Windows has booted fine the last 5 times I've tried, and as far as I can see it is working normally, for now.

I will try the drive fitness test again later