• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Newer LED Flashlights

Started by scuzzy, July 17, 2008, 12:29 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

My job requires a very high quality flashlight. It must be powerful, easy to carry, and maintain a good charge. LED based flashlights have greatly improved over the last couple of years, and my trusty Inova T4 seems feckless in comparison to the newer batches.

I ordered both a Wolf Eyes D2AX/R2 Defender (280 lumen w/R2 Cree) from Pacific Tactical Solutions (PTS), and a Fenix TK11 (225 lumen w/Q5 Cree) from Fenix-Store.

Both are very powerful LEDs with excellent run times. Both also have excellent build qualities.

What's nice is that both flashlights also use either 2 ea disposable CR123 batteries, or better yet... a single rechargeable 18650 Li-Ion (same as LRB-168A) battery. I ordered the rechargeable batteries and an AW-139 fast charger from Fenix-Store for both flashlights.

You'll find helpful reviews at LightReviews.com, although the Fenix TK11 and D2AX/R2 Defender haven't yet made the list.

Once I get the flashlights in hand, I will pick the best one for my needs. The other will be a gift for my oldest son. I'll also poast my own review of the two hand torches.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

I received both the Wolf Eyes D2AX/R2 Defender and the Fenix TK11. After spending quite a bit of time with both, I chose the TK11 for my tactical needs. The Defender is a fine instrument that displaces an incredible light, but the TK11 had some simple advantages that made it a better choice for my duty belt.

A few nights ago I finally got to compare the TK11 to my venerable Inova T4. I took both to my deck and tried them side-by-side. Initially I was disappointed that the TK11 didn't really seem to throw out a stronger beam, but it did have much more spill than the T4. This alone makes it a better choice for my needs. Then I realized something critically important. I forgot that I still had my TK11 set on low. I twisted the TK11's head to the high position and gave it another go. On high, the TK11 completely blew the T4 away in every way imaginable. The difference was literally night and day. The TK11's beam was massive and powerful, and the T4's paled in comparison.

What makes this so amazing is that the TK11 is so much smaller that the T4. It is also designed to go over 2-1/2 hours at full brightness, on a fully charged 18650 Li-Ion battery. On low, which has an output equivalent to the T4, it will go 12 freakin' hours. As I recall, the most I can get out of the T4 is 2 hours on a single charge.

I hope to get some photos of the TK11 and the T4 side-by-side, to include some beam shots. So keep your eyes peeled.

Oh, LightReviews.com now has a review of the Fenix TK11
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

JA,

My TK11 has performed far beyond my expectations and I'm very happy with it. As for my T4, it is used mostly around the house as it continues to earn its keep. I did purchase the separate rechargeable battery and charger.

I use a leather-like holster for my duty belt to house the TK11. It's a perfect fit, although it is designed for the Streamlight Stinger. Come to think of it, it's the same holster that I used for the T4.

The TK11 does have a slight "donut" ring around the hot spot, but I never notice it in actual use since the hot spot is so powerful. Although the T4 is fairly evenly illuminated, it can't hold a candle to the TK11's overall performance.

The rechargeable battery is also far superior to that of the T4. It holds a charge for a very long time. On average, I charge it once every one to two weeks. It has never disappointed me on the job.