• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Super Virus Warning!

Started by Whizbang, August 30, 2007, 00:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

My daughter-in-law sent me an email telling me that Norton, McAfee, CNN, and Microsoft are all warning of "the most potentially destructive virus ever that will begin to be spread by email attachment.  Essentially, the virus seems to be similar to the IBM ZAP command string that wipes out the first sector of the hard drive that has all of the drive map information.  There is no remedy because the damage is irreparable without having an expert do a drive recovery operation from another system.  The word "Invitation" seems to be the pitch phrase to catch your attention. 

scuzzy

That reminds me that ESET Smart Security is now in Beta 2 and it is still free of charge. I am very pleased with the product to the point that I am willing to pay full price for the final release. SpywareBlaster 3.5 (also free) and ESET Smart Security are now all I need and have worked excellent in keeping my systems clean.

Scuzzy; it won't protect me against Ace, though.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Might this be the "Olympic Torch" virus scare hoax from 2006 (originally... listed as anew by Hoaxbusters and others)?

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBMalCode.shtml#olympictorch

Ace; I'm going to see if Spyware Terminator eliminates Scuzzy's poasts, and cats.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

There is indeed a strong familiarity about it.  Thanks for a heads up.  High five to the Ace.    8)

scuzzy

Dang it, I knew I shouldn't trust Ace. I clicked the link and it instantly burned my computer's hard drive. I'm now having to use a manual typewriter to poast this message.

Scuzzy; lkaakjd (Oh that figures. Now I'm going to have to run to the store to buy Wite-Out.)
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

I agree with Whiz, which makes us brilliant and Scuzzy speechless.  It doesn't get better than that. 

If he knew how to hook up a motherboard fan maybe he could cool the thing off...  If.

Ace; and he mispelled "white."
Ring bells for service.