• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

KFlex or V 90

Started by Joanie, August 09, 2001, 17:09 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

Lately I have been experiencing disconnects while on-line and we all know how exasperating that can be, especially in the middle of a download or while jogging around in Poasters.

Today, after complaining to my ISP the Supervisor and I did a little Modem tweaking and I would like to pass the new "Extra Settings" along to anyone who may be experiencing a lot of disconnects or difficulty getting on line.

First I have a Lucent Win Modem and I am sure that would be important to know if you plan to try this. We are going to change the Modem from V 90 to KFlex. I was told KFlex is more dependable when there is switching from analog to digital over the phone lines, something about conversion.

In Dial-Up-Networking Properties, Advanced, Configure and under "Extra Settings" we typed in the following string.

s38=1=v90=0

This turned off the V90 and automatically enabled the KFlex. So far today I have had no disconnects and have been able to access the Internet on the first Dial-Up.

We also changed the baud rate from 115,200 to 57,600. The reason being it is better to have the baud rate set close to the size of the Modem, Modem being 56.

This is worth a try if you are having problems with your Lucent Win Modem.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>