• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Windows Me - Burn it now!

Started by Chandler, April 19, 2006, 15:02 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

If you came to this poast based on the title hoping that this would be a download link for a Windows Me ISO CD image (are you a scientologist crazy?), you'd be wrong.  It is in fact a poast recommending that you take your Windows Me CD in chuck it in your furnace.

I'd completely forgotten just how frustrating that half-baked operating is.  First of all, there's the minor things.  Microsoft decided to remove real-mode DOS.  Why?  What's the point?  It's still based on DOS.  Are we just pretending that it doesn't have DOS?  Are we just pretending that it's Windows 2000 for consumers?

Sure it has faster bootup.  But why, does the splash screen just disappear part way through, leaving just a black screen with flashing cursor?  I thought we were trying to hide the DOS roots?

What about Scandisk?  Scandisk on Windows 98 worked well.  Scandisk on Windows Me... ARRGGHHH!  Could it have been designed to be any slower?  Is it designed to just restart the scan every second?  Are our lives so unimportant that we must wait a week for an auto-Scandisk to complete?  That slightly longer Windows 98 boot doesn't seem quite so long now.

And finally, installing Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1.  Fun fun fun.  Install it and wait until it gets to around 95% and then stick on Installing Vector Graphics Rendering.  OK, lets just cancel it, no problem.  "Please wait while Setup is cancelling.. This may take several minutes".  Several minutes?  More like 'until the hardware dies', or until Windows Me decides to just randomly crash.  Which it will do, because the installation wasn't completed and since the install will not cancel cleanly, I have to crash out.

So, a big 'thank-you' to Microsoft for enriching my multimedia experiences with Windows Me.

Whizbang

ME also hates to be anywhere on the hard drive but the first partition.  If you dual boot, you cannot use a boot partition unless ME is on it because after a few boot ups, ME will forget where it is and give you the royal blue heave ho window.

Neon

I'll just chime in to note that Microsoft Windows 98 and ME Support ends on July 11.

This is not a good time to make a fresh install of one of those old obsolete operating systems. Security updates will also stop, so they may become susceptible to newly discovered vulnerabilities.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

pat

I wonder if one could, after that date, install a version of 9.x and still download previous updates? Or will Windows Update simply cease to exist for those operating systems?

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Whizbang

In the event of no previous updates, I wonder if Microsoft would sue anyone selling CD's of the previous updates.  That would really cause a stink.  I can see the headlines now.  

Microsoft Sues Man for Supplying Fix to Unsupported ME
My melodramatics lack the needed hysterical emphasis.