• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Microsoft Picture It photos

Started by LugwidVanB, July 16, 2009, 15:36 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

LugwidVanB

I've been down this long road before and nothing works. I had Microsoft Picture It but don't even remember how I got it. It came I believe with a new device I bought, possibly a printer. Anyway, I lost it and can't install it. The copy I have now is corrupted. MS doesn't sell it and won't offer any assistance whatsoever. The program changed the photos from jpegs to a photo with the ext .mix. Nothing opens it. This is a lesson to never, never allow a program to change the extension when you open a photo in that program. I tried infanview with its plugins and it doesn't recognize it. I was wondering if anyone has Microsoft Picture It and I could send you maybe at most a half dozen photos and you could convert them back to jpeg and send them to me. Thanks for any assistance.

Tom

Buffalo2102

I think I have Picture It somewhere but not installed - I'll try and dig it out.

Meanwhile, if you have MS Word installed you might try this -

1. Have the .mix files saved on your computer somewhere.  I would make some copies first and keep the originals safe.

2. Open up Microsoft Word and click on the "Insert" menu.

3. Click on "Picture" and then "From File..."

4. Find the .mix file that you have saved on your computer and insert it into the document. Now you should be able to view the image as a part of your Word document.

5. Now, in order to save it as a jpeg, just go to the "File" menu and click on "Save As."

6. Save the document as a "Web Page"

7. You won't notice anything different, but then go to where you saved the web page document and you'll see that there's the web page file along with a folder titled "filename_files." Open this folder and inside you'll find the .mix image saved as a jpeg. Then feel free to rename the image and place it wherever you'd like.

I found this solution but haven't tried it myself so let us know how you get on.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

LugwidVanB

Thanks Buff. I tried this. When the box comes up to select the file to insert, it won't list any .mix pictures under the setting at the bottom, 'All Pictures'. It will list all jpegs and they can be inserted into the word doc. If I change to 'All Files' the .mix files are listed. When I click to Insert a box comes up that says 'Convert File From'. None of the selections work. I chose Computer Graphics Metafile and another box comes up that says I need to install Imports Group Filter. I click yes and another box (MS doesn't make it easy!) comes that says to insert the Office 2003 cd in which I do. And yes, another box comes up saying it can't find the source file. I browse and browse selecting various files from the cd but nothing works. Frustrating. I hope you can find the Picture It cd since I have only one picture I'd like to recover. Then anything that has to do with MS photos gets send into outer space.

Thanks,
TOm

pat

I have a copy of MS PhotoDraw that I know will open that format, but can't find the darn registration key. I think my daughter may have it. I'll call her later and see.

But, you might try this free 60 day trial of Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006

I'm pretty sure it will open .mix files and allow you to save in another format.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LugwidVanB

Thanks Pat. It worked! So Buff I won't need the other program. Thanks anyway.

Tom

pat

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Buffalo2102

Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.