• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Best I Could Do Before Breakfast

Started by Whizbang, October 16, 2007, 22:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

My wife yelled at me to come see something in the back yard.  I guess you can see how boring country life can be when a spider web in the sun is exciting, but here it is.  Unfortunately, that scene is no longer possible because the sorry peach tree never brought a single peach to ripening stage in 10 years before something else got the peach.  Tree died; I came today; I cut today--->for firewood.  I won't lose any sleep over destroying a spider's house either.

Bill

Whiz,
Was that a banana spider?  They seem to be all over Deliverance SC.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

scuzzy

Well that would explain a pride of lions slipping right before they fall.

Scuzzy; I've never slipped on a banana spider.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Whizbang

Quote from: Bill on October 17, 2007, 05:12 hrs
Whiz,
Was that a banana spider?  They seem to be all over Deliverance SC.

Bill
Nope, a banana spider is a tarantula; and they usually build nests in holes in the ground.  I did not look up its species before desecrating its web.  We just got almost a 2" rain, and the spiders always come out afterward and build webs.  When you walk around outside at night, you must put your arm up to deflect any of the critters and the webs from hitting you in the mouth.

Ace

Gee-Ross.  I was afraid that's what a "banana spider" is.. and I'm set for a banana, at lunch.  Blech.

Besides the unappetizing nature of this poast, and the fact that it's in the "Dinner and a Movie" section, while portraying a photograph at breakfast, it's even more yucky thinking you could get caught in the face in a web.
Criminy, desecrate the spider; forget the dang web.

I know Ken Burns does a lot of "movies" that are just photographs which he moves around for "action" but that's just a cheap way out as far as I'm concerned.  It's like jiggling a Car and Driver issue and pretending the car's moving.  Or a Playboy, and

Ok.  Never mind that.  Maybe it's more like watching a clip of Celtic Women, and keeping still. 

Ace; I do tap my foot during hot ukelele numbers, though.

Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

Quote from: Whizbang on October 17, 2007, 10:30 hrs
Nope, a banana spider is a tarantula; and they usually build nests in holes in the ground.  I did not look up its species before desecrating its web.  We just got almost a 2" rain, and the spiders always come out afterward and build webs.  When you walk around outside at night, you must put your arm up to deflect any of the critters and the webs from hitting you in the mouth.
Apparently, I was wrong.  When I was growing up, a banana spider was what people called tarantulas because they had a habit of crawling out of banana stalks when the stalks were disturbed in the produce houses.  Now, the name refers to a spider that spins a yellow web.  The spider web in the picture is probably that of what I have always called a fall spider, in reference to when they appear.  It has a large body with orange, yellow and white markings.  It also thumps when you swat it from its web with a fly swatter.   :P

Ace

Dangit, Whiz.  There you go again, debating yourself.  Look, someone is going to look foolish and I'm tired of being the target of hate crimes here.  It's just like that global warming thing; "Conservatively, scientists say the pole is melting and the world is warming... WRONG!  The pole is melting, and the world is cooling!  And warming!"  It took me long enough to know Iceland is green and Greenland is ice, and I'm not about to start cramming for some exam on which pole points where, and if El Nino is warm but La Nina is just bipolar.  And Gore said he's not interested in running, now that the polls said they flipped and people aren't interested anyway. 

Geez, this is sounding like Bill's homophonic spelling lesson.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ok; a banana spiders eats bananas.  Fine.  If I see one, it's not gonna have more that a second or two to choke one down before I splatter the thing all over creation, so I don't particulary give a rat's behind what it has for a last supper.  I will guarantee it will be cruel, and unusual.  And may well involve chemical substances, besides a sturdy rubber band.

Ace; I thump when I get up at night, so I hope nobody swats me in the fly.

Ring bells for service.