• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Download Manager.

Started by Traveller, July 28, 2007, 19:27 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller

Hi All.

I am looking for a free download manger which does the following.

Resume broken downloads from where they left off. I don't want the whole list of downloads to load from the start upon restart. For example, if I add five files to download and the computer crashes in the middle of the third file, when I restart, I want it to continue from the third file (a little rollback is fine) but not from the first file again.

Not have to save the job as a queue or other file in order to resume downloads and then having to load the queue/file in order to resume. However, I would also like to have the option to save a queue if I wanted but not have to hit the save button everytime new files are added; it should remember the files automatically.

Have a little on-screen basket that allows drag and drop.

Be able to automatically rename files as they are downloaded, for example, 001, 002, 003, 004, etc. Some software can automatically rename files that exist already, but is there a download manager that can rename files anyway? (If I can choose how the files are renamed, then that would be a major bonus, eg. 001, 002 or 01, 02, or 1, 2, or A, B, C, etc.)

Don't need fancy features like browsers or grabbers or converters or whatever else included. Just want to use it as a download manager.

Obviously, no spyware/adware, etc.

Have already tried Wackget, Netleech, Webspider (or was it Netspider?), DL Expert, Free Download Manager, Fresh Download, but they don't seem to fit the bill. Some of them were tried many years ago, so, since I don't know how much they've improved, please feel free to recommend any of them if they can now do the job.

Thanks.

Whizbang

From my experience with newest Free Download Manager, it will do just what you want.  You can set it to download separate files in succession or all at once.  I generally go with the consecutive file download.  Once a flie is completed, it is tagged and not downloaded again you request it.  You can set priorities according to bandwidth use, sampling, and restart from last saved segment.  The way to set consecutive option is to limit downloads to one file at a time.  It is the best manager I have ever used, and not having banners to load and consume bandwidth makes it ideal for me.   8)

Traveller

Hi Whizbang.

Funnily enough, Free Download Manager is the most recent one which I've tried and it looks like it is the latest version which I have.

The first thing that put me right off this program was the time it took to save a simple little image, for example, if I right click on the Poasters Computer Forums logo at the top of this page and choose save image as, it saves it in about less than a second, however, if I save it with FDM, it just took about three MINUTES to save! It is not just a one-off occurrence; it did the same thing when I tried it soon after installing. Is this normal? Is there a difference between 'saving' an image and 'downloading' one? If I try to download a FILE, it seems to do it quite quickly. Is this to do with my ignorance?

Is the renaming done through the Create Batch Download option? I know I'll have a few more questions once I've attempted this. As a matter of fact, I've just tried it and don't understand the message that comes up (Please use (*), (*A) or (*a) in the URL to specify template for URL). It's OK, I'll use the HELP facility for this one and poast if I need anything clarifying on this issue. Are you sure that renaming can be done the way I want it? For example, if I save the logo at the top of this page, I want it to automatically rename to 001, then if I go to Webshots and save your hibiscus, I want it to automatically rename to 002, etc. Is this possible?

Another thing that I don't like is that if I drag an item to the basket, an 'add download' box appears. Is there a setting which can make the download start immediately without the 'add download' box popping up?

Thanks.

Whizbang

The settings for traffic need to be set to maximize download speed.  My FDM setup always downloads as fast as Firefox DM.  On DSL, I run up to 320Kbps, but normally about 240.  I haven't found out how to keep the download window from popping up.  It is not an issue with me because I always want to check the download location because I often switch, depending on the file.  The only renaming option I find is for a file that is restarted.  There are so many options that I have not explored them all.   :-\

Traveller

Hi Whizbang.

Unfortunately, if it can't rename then it's not what I'm looking for. If no other download managers exist which can do this, then I would consider keeping FDM, but the popping up window is a big issue for me because even though I switch between download locations like you, I want to be able to drag a few items from one webpage quickly into the basket without the window popping up every time. I'm quite annoyed that the makers chose to have this window (or at least not provide an option to turn it off) as the whole point of having a basket is to quickly drag and drop. As far as I can remember, I don't think any of the others I tried which had a basket had this annoying problem. I think I'll just have to experiment and download and try a few frogs and even then I am skeptical of finding a prince!

Thanks.

Whizbang

The new Beta version gives you the opportunity to rename; but, as far as I know, the popup window still cannot be disabled. 

Traveller

pat

If the Free Download Manager isn�t working out you may want to take a look at;
Flashget
or
LeechGet

I don�t know that either will meet all your criteria, but both are good programs.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Traveller

Thanks Pat; will look into those asap.

Buffalo2102

I always used to use Download Express and thought it was great.  Haven't used a download manager for ages now so am a bit out of touch but you might want to check it out.

http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/default.asp
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Softix

I think you should go for free download manager. I am using it and I think it is good. I have been using it for a long time as well and it was indeed helpful