• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Vector Linux

Started by Whizbang, February 18, 2006, 19:50 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

OK, I am addicted to the Linux craze.  This one comes in both Live and installable versions.  It is not bloated with a lot of stuff that simply increases the likihood of bugs.  I was very pleased to find that it loads very quickly and with no problems.  All versions of vector are designed to be compact, to load programs quickly, and be very hardware compatible.  I had no need to make any adjustments with LAN detection and monitor settings, both done automatically.  The desktop layout is as pleasing as any OS I have seen.  The developers have chosen a more professional path than many Linux distros and emphasize their seriousness with the desktop logo and the name Vector.  Even the menu loading on the Live CD is faster than other Live CD versions.  I am going to have to purchase more hard drives to contain all of the Linux spinoffs I am trying.  I really just do not want to try to link any of them with a Linux boot loader.  Although that may be more convenient, it can be risky to try to use the Linux bootloaders with Windows because of occasional bugginess.  I am tempted to try Power Quest's Boot Magic, but I may wait until I format before trying it.

Whizbang

I just finished getting the latest Vector SOHO (Small Office and Home Office) 5.1.2 Live CD installed to hard drive by choosing root load option.  I am poasting with it now.  I am a bit astonished, to say the least.  The default monitor setting that Vector auto-installed is 1600 X 1200.  I reset to 1280 X 1024 X60H, but found that the higher setting was actually better.  Does anyone know if using the higher resolution would cause any hardware problems?  I am just amazed that it actually worked at all,  No other OS has even attempted that resolution and always blanked out monitor.

Whizbang

The higher setting just uses interpolation.  Since 1280 X 1024 is the native, anything higher would not be "real," but I found the higher setting interesting.  As poasted in Ubuntu poast, Vector has several flavors for download, one being a loaded version that requires a nominal fee of around $30.00.  The others are no less attractive though.

Whizbang

I just installed the latest Linux Vector 5.8 Install to a hard drive.  Advances are apparent.  I suppose the most obvious is the Sign-on screen that is covered with animated penguins.  Every time the mouse is moved, it creates the very lifelike illusion of a stick being dragged through a pool of water with ripples and froth.  I don't suppose that adds much to usability, but it is definitely eye-catching.  One feature that really is worth mentioning is the option of three readily available browsers, and not one of them is the venerable Konqueror.  I am using the latest Mozilla Firefox with auto spell-check illumination.  Opera and Monkey Browser are also at hand.  Graphics identification and LAN detection are standard, working, and very good.  I had to make no entry other than selecting the screen resolution.  For the first time I can remember, my USB Flashdrive is fully functional in a Linux OS with both read and write capability.  Now that I have what seems to be a very usable product, I am considering adding Boot Magic to my SATA drive for a Linux boot option.  That way, I can simply switch out the mobile console between Linux choices and not worry about forgetting to turn the SATA back on for my wife to visit Dale Junior every night on NASCAR.com.    ::)