• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

In the market for a notebook computer...

Started by JoeS, March 19, 2008, 21:20 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeS

Hi, I'm new here.  Could someone recommend one of the notebook computers I have listed?

I've come up with four options for what would best suit me, but they all seem like there very reliable computers.  So I'm counting on whoever will respond to help me make one of the best purchases I'll make.

Here's what I'm interested inââ?¬Â¦

1.   Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad
2.   Sony Vaio
3.   Apple Macbook (80GB)
4.   Apple Macbook (160GB)

I wouldn't be doing high graphic games or anything like that, so a huge amount of GHzââ?¬â?¢s isn't necessary. A good amount of RAM and a large HDD are necessary.  I would buy this notebook from www.cdw.com with a discount from my dad's (JimS) job, unless anyone knows of where I can find a better price.  I'm not going over $1,300, price-wise.

Thanks�

Mark H

We bought an HP laptop and my work laptop is also HP. I would recommend HP highly.

Mark H; Welcome to Poasters!
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Buffalo2102

I have a HP too and can't fault it.

You really need to make a decision whether to buy a MAC or a regular notebook - they are quite different.  Consider what you want to do and see what MAC/PC applications are available and what other users say about them.  Try to filter out the "fanboy" reviews from the well-balanced, considered reviews and ignore them.

I won't make your choice for you, but there are a few things I will point out that you need to consider - apologies if you have already considered them.

There are several things to consider when buying a notebook that are not so important for a desktop.

• Battery life.  Very important if you are planning to be mobile.
  • Size/weight.  Ditto.
  • Warranty.  If it goes faulty, it will probably be difficult and costly to repair/replace.  You will have to send back the whole unit for inspection/repair.  Check the length and cost of the warranty and what it covers.
  • Connectivity.  Number of USB ports, whether you need firewire, wireless networking built-in, bluetooth, PCMCIA slot, etc.
  • Operating system.  A lot of notebook suppliers will only provide what they offer - Vista mostly these days (or MAC OSX).  Some will provide XP or Linux as an option.  You could install your own OS (probably have to pay for it separately) but you will likely lose the convenient recovery options that are usually provided with a notebook.
  • Overall spec.  Although you say you don't need a fast system etc., you should always try and get the best (quality) spec. you can for the money.  This is because it is very difficult and often impossible to upgrade a notebook - what you buy now will need to last you a few years (unless you are rich).
Those are on top of the usual decisions about processor, graphics, memory etc.

Having said the above, as far as your four choices go, they are all good makes and you likely won't go wrong with any of them.

I hope the above helps.

Buff; probably not.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Bill

Being somewhat less diplomatic than Buff, I would vote for Lenovo.  I just purchased an R61e from the Lenovo Outlet with Dual Core Duo 2 2ghz, 100 gig HD and 2 gigs of ram for about $800.  I picked this particular unit because XP Pro was on it rather than Vista.  System arrived in about a week.

It has a very solid and well built 'feel', and seems way better than the old Dell it replaced.
The down side is or was that Lenovo packs their notebooks with all kinds of extra applications for recovery and lots of other bloatware.  In my case I elected to wipe the HD and did a clean install of XP Pro which I had to purchase separately.

But all in all I am happy with the system. 
One other thought, most brands have a forum for users and reading the messages can give you a better understanding of pluses and minuses for each brand and model.

here is the outlet:  http://stores.channeladvisor.com/LenovoOutlet/Notebook/New/ThinkPad%20R%20Series/

Here is the forum:  http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Welcome to Poasters.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

JimS

Thanks, everyone.

Everyone here raises good points.  Joe's become something of an Apple fan since getting an iPod; I swear he'd shower with it if it was waterproof.  He originally wanted a MacBook and wanted to install Windows onto it.  I was successful in explaining that if you want to use the Apple OS, buy a Mac, and if you want to use a Microsoft OS, buy a Window machine.

One point he forgot to mention is that he plans on carrying this back and forth to school with him, so durability is important.  Another point I found amusing is his $1,300.00 price limit.  Originally he had set a $1,000.00 limit, which at this point he doesn't have, but Linda and I said we've pay for 1/2.  All of a sudden, we're up to $1,300.00, since $650.00 he can do.  It's a good thing we like him...

As the very satisfied owner of a five-year-old IBM T40 that is carried back and forth to work every day (a two-hour commute each way via buses and trains) and is used for many hours every day, I'm very partial to the IBM/Lenovo, simply because they're built so well.  But I wanted him to research this and come to his own educated decision, so I suggested he register here and solicit opinions, which is what I did when I bought my IBM back in 2003.

Thanks again, everyone.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Bill

JA,
Yes and yes.  IBM sold the line to Lenovo and they have maintained the quality of the machines and are ranked next to Apple for support, although it's not free.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

JimS

I believe Lenovo had been making the notebook system for IBM almost forever.  The biggest difference is in 2003, the IBM ThinkPads came with a three-year warranty.  The Lenovo system come with only one year.  The only problems I had with my T-40 came after about 2.5 years, and IBM had it back to me fully repaired in five days.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

JoeS

Thank for the info everyone!  ;D

Everyone has good points. Battery life is important and that�s something that would be helpful, especially if I�m at school. JA asked if I prefer Windows or Mac, well I�m a Windows user, but I�m sure I could use both. Mark H and Buffalo 2102 liked HP computers, but as of 25 minutes ago, a teacher told me that the pricier ones are well built and reliable. But the ones in my price range aren�t as good. So overall he said a HP might not be the best choice. Size and weight do matter, so that�s why I would like a notebook (which is lighter and smaller than a laptop). I honestly don�t know much about connectivity.

Thanks again�

JoeS

P.S. Can someone also help me with the profile picture? I can�t figure out how to do it. The picture will be from a website.

JoeS

I tried JA�s way of uploading a profile picture, but it didn�t seem to work. ??? Any other suggestions?

JoeS

Hi everyone...

My mom brought up a good point that since every computer in the house is a windows computer that it stays that way. So the Apple is once again out of the question unless someone says something that changes my mind. So it's a race between IBM and Sony. I�m leaning towards the Sony, but I also like the reliability, durability, and customer support of the IBM. So, what do you guys think?

Thanksââ?¬Â¦ 

JoeS      8)

Bill

JoeS,
I have already voted but if I were you, I would google the Sony for a history of reliability and frequency of repairs.

Bill

JoeS

Thank Bill,

Many people were having problems with their vaioââ?¬â?¢s. I would have never known. I think I'm going with Lenovo.   :)

JoeS   

Carskick

I have an MSI-1039 now, which is a great computer, but has terrible battery life. New, I got 1:40, now I get about 1:10. So I am selling it, and a few days ago, I ordered a Dell Vostro. I first saw one when a customer of mine ordered a new one and had me set it up. I was very suprized with how well built it was, nice finish, and a really long battery life. From the figures I've read, I am thinking it should last 3-5hours on the 9 cell, though Dell quotes 7:30.

The reason I ordered now was the price. Dell is running the best special I've seen on this laptop since I have been watching it for the past month. A custom Vostro 1500 totalling over $1249 gets $500, and free shipping, though I had to call in to get the free shipping to work.

Mine came to $1302 - $500 + sales tax = $852

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2x2.0Ghz
RAM: DDR2 2GB 667Mhz
Video: 8600GT 256MB (Very hard to get in this price class and with a good battery)
Hard Drive: 160GB 7200RPM
Optical: DVD�±RW DL
Screen: 1280x800 15.4" (I chose matte finish after much debate)
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 4xUSB, VGA (no DVI out, though)

I think the Vostro 1400 (14.1") and Vostro 1700 (17") are running the same deal, but the 15.4" is the best size for me, as it is not over 7lbs, yet has a full sized keyboard and a large screen. Best compromise IMHO.

Cannot wait to get it. It's fun to know exactly what I am getting. My last laptop I ordered with no idea what to expect with what it feels like, which is IMHO very important on a laptop. I know this one just feels comfy!

Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

JoeS

Thanks for the info,

This dell does seem like lots of bang for the buck, but I still like what the lenovo offers. Also, this dell is a 1st generation model, and dad (JimS) says never buy something that just came out. But thanks anyway.

JoeS

Carskick

True, though the guts are nearly identical to inspiron, and the laptop has been on the market for at least 8 months already, so many reviews and reports are available. But I understand your logic.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

JoeS

Hi, JoeS here,

I just went to BJââ?¬â?¢s and found a Lenovo Ideapad for around $600. Itââ?¬â?¢s two pounds heavier than the Thinkpad, but it has four speakers, a subwoofer, a built-in camera, 2GBââ?¬â?¢s of memory, a 160GB hard drive, and it's much cheaper. So should I get an Ideapad, or stick with the thinkpad?    ???

JoeS

pat

I can't comment on that choice, but have you looked through the Lenovo Outlet Center ? They seem to have some good deal there.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bill

JoeS,
There is a reason the Ideapad is less expensive and has all those additional goodies.  Lenovo wanted to get into the non-business market, which IMO is typically younger with less money to spend.  It is also, I think, a first generation machine. 

Bill, I agree with Pat's suggestion.

JoeS

JoeS here,

Wish me luck, because I just might win a free gateway today.    :)

JoeS

JoeS

Hey guys, long time, no talk,

I need some advice. Last night, I woke up at 3:00AM with the words ââ?¬Å?Apple Macbookââ?¬Â in my head till 5:00AM. Is this telling me that maybe I should get a Mac instead of the Lenovo I was planning on?    ???

Thanks, JoeS

Bill

I don't put much stock in dreams or words appearing inside my head...except for absolute flashes of brilliant intelligence, which don't happen that much anymore.  Besides, you've been down that road with LinS and JimS before.

Bill

JimS

"...you've been down that road with JimS and LinS before..."

You're referring to the absolute flashes of brilliant intelligence Joe always sees in his parents (well, at least in his father), right, Bill?

p.s.: There could be something in this for you if you answer correctly...
- Stephen Grellet

Bill

Actually I was referring to flashes of intelligence being replaced by 'senior moments', but there is definitely wisdom in following the advice of the people who are going to pay half the invoice! 

Bill

pat

I'm also looking into a macbook, you may want to give the Apple store clearance and/or refurbished center a look.
They seem to have some pretty good deals there. I may just take the plunge soon.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

JoeS

Hey everyone,

What has a 15 inch screen, windows XP Professional, a built-in camera, 1GB 667MHZ 1DIMM, a touchpad, 160GB HDD,5400RPM, a DVD recorder, Bluetooth, 6 Cell Li-ion battery, a fingerprint reader, and three years of warranty? Having trouble?     ::)

A Lenovo Thinkpad R61i! It should come at least next Wednesday! $956.31 in total.  ;D

JoeS, thanks everyone for the help!!!!!   :)

JimS

You forgot the extra 2 gB stick of RAM from CDW for $49.25.

I think it'll take longer than one week.  The person I spoke with at CDW said that custom notebook configurations can take quite a while to receive.  The time frame given by Lenovo was 2 - 3 weeks; I'm betting on about two weeks.  He said that Lenovo was probably the fastest at filling custom orders, while H-P could take up to a month.
- Stephen Grellet

Dan$

It probably would have been easier for you if you made this forum a poll, just a word of advice.  :P
I LIKE TWINKIES & MONSTER & LINKIN PARK