• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

U3 Smart Drives

Started by Buffalo2102, January 30, 2009, 03:31 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo2102

I just bought a Sandisk Cruzer USB flash drive and it has U3 software already loaded.  My first thought was to delete it as all I wanted was some portable storage but I decided to check it out before I did.  Well, I am quite glad I did as it seems to be pretty useful.

For those that don't know, U3 is like an ultra-lite OS and applications that run directly from the USB flash drive.  You can plug the drive into any PC and pick up e-mail, browse the net, do almost anything.  Then, when you are finished, you just remove the drive and go - no trace is left on the host PC.

The U3 software does take up a small amount of storage space on the flash drive and that can expand, depending on the applications that you install.  But if you don't need that extra storage space I think it is worth keeping the U3 stuff on there.

Read more here - http://www.u3.com/default.aspx.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

scuzzy

The problem that I have experienced with U3 is that it does not work consistently well across various computer platforms. U3 does me no good if I plug it into my work computer and it doesn't work. I have also had problems at home in which it will work on one computer but not another.

Scuzzy; I'm not very dependable myself.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

halokid

i use this software as well.. it comes in handy at libraries when they dont have Firefox installed or some other app. But  the one thing that bugs me is if you use your thumb drive all the time for file transfer (me), then the ui loading every time you plug in your thumb drive gets pretty irritating. This is why i have my "U3" thumb drive and my "regular" drive.