• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

No USB in W2K Pro

Started by abseh1, February 17, 2004, 09:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

abseh1

No USB in W2K Pro
I can not find USB ports in the Device Manager
Any Ideas/help will be appreciated
MoBo supports USB 2.0(MSI Km2m Combo (MS-6738)
AMD 2000+ XP throughbred B
I downloaded drivers put they appeared as read only on the desk top??
====================
I installed new mobo a month ago...but never even checked or needed USB until now

Neon

Make sure USB is enabled in BIOS.

Look on the install disk that came with the motherboard for USB drivers. Alternately, you can download the drivers here:
MSI  KM2M Combo-L drivers

(Link fixed by Mark H)
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Nestor

I'd try two things: Check your connections- are they integrated into the MoBo? If so, use the utility that came with your board. My MSI KT6 Delta has a connector that allows front panel USB support, but requires a cable. Is everything connected properly? Use the utility. Plug in a USB device and see if the computer sees it automatically. If not, then see if it recognizes after a restart.

I just swapped my MoBo recently, and had to reinstall a host of drivers and utilities, then i had to go back in later and remove any vestiges of drivers and things from my old board that were stored on my Hard Disks.

Next Step: Windows update. Get the latest SPs from the website. A lot of them require restarts, so you may want to do them one at a time.
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

Chandler

Update Windows 2000 to SP4, and if the EHCI USB controller still isn't detected, install additional drivers from MSI.

abseh1

Thanks All for your help
They were all good questions/solutions
==========================
Update..all is well (feeling Dumb  )

I had checked the BIOS when I installed the new mainboard
But I have 4 options for USB...I must have been in a rush
Somehow I left the New MoBo on board unchecked in the BIOS
Yesterday was the first time I needed USB
Until then I did know it was not checked (feeling Dumb  )

Thanks again

Nestor

Don't feel dumb. The main lesson learned is that a strict attention to detail will often save you a lot of hassle in the future when it comes to upgrading PC's. I too, had a 'dumb' moment. I'll probably have more.
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

Neon

Yes, we have all had those moments. It is easy to forget some detail when you are in a hurry, or trying to do something unfamiliar. That's okay - it is one of the reasons Poasters is here.

Consider that it is the machine that is dumb. It just does whatever the programming instructs, and does not fix itself.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

MXi

That was an esay mistake to make, I've done that heaps of times.  Wanna read about something really stupid :

http://www.poasters.com/forum/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=8750

Now that's idiotic.
Life is like a mexican highway.  Even if you can read the signs, you're bloody lucky if they're accurate

abseh1

Thanks again for eveyones time/help

Thought of my day:
"Men have become the tools of their tools"...Thoreau