• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Newbie needs HELP!

Started by 486sxProcessor, November 17, 2003, 16:27 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

486sxProcessor

Hi evryone im new here. I would like to buy a
Racer Computer with a Celeron processor (400mhz) and a good price. I have found a site for finding prices on one it was 2,300! that is a rip off. Anyway the reason i want is cause we have them our school they just came in. We use them for typing class.  They are pretty nice computers i like how they look alot! Anyway right now i have Packardbell 410
with a 486sx  :(  I got that one from the school. Ok now for the real question where can I find a good deal on the racer computer Im having trouble finding one :( your input would be great!

Neon

Racer Computer appears to be defunct. The last webpage I found here http://www.gy.com/company/racer.htm has them offering Celeron and K6-2 systems in 2001. There was a big shakeout of computer vendors at that time, due to the decrease in prices in the industry and the downturn in the overall economy. They probably were squeezed out of business.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

486sxProcessor

So the chances of me getting one is very low?
:( I took the site and non of the pages could be found :( Do u know any where else i could buy one?

Neon

Unfortunately, it does not look good unless you happen to find one used. Maybe eBay?

What is so special about Racer? Maybe we can help you to find something similar to your liking.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

486sxProcessor

just they way it looks and how it is my type of computer :) i use one everyday at school. It really is they way it looks plus i like racing and its  Racer computer. Plus it doesnt look all silvery and super high tech  like the new compaq's and emachines. Hope that helped :)

Carskick

A computers looks aren't what make it good. You should choose a computer based on what you will use it for, how expandable you want it to be, and how it fits into your budget. The local schools here were selling decent pentium 2s for $5 each!!! If you can find something like that, it will be an upgrade from your 486. If you can spend $400 or more, you can buy an emachines, Hp, compaq, etc. As a noob, I wouldn't reccomend building your own computer. But please don't go by the looks of a computer. That's like buying a car cause it's red. Nothing else matters. Good luck.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Neon

Agreed, the way it looks may add to your enjoyment, but it won't be fun for long if your racing PC has slow parts inside. Always base your purchasing decision on the quality of parts, overall speed, and suitability to your tasks. There will be time for decorations after you make the purchase decision. ;)

With that said, I haven't found exactly what you were looking for, but here's a few things to look at that may strike your fancy, or at least get you thinking. First are some vinyl NASCAR case stickers from directron which fit on Chieftec mid tower cases. The Chieftec cases are high quality, lots of people like them, so it would be a good choice. Second is a custom paint job on a clear case that looks fantastic. He did a lot of extra work inside the box, but painting a stock case is a possibility.
Third is a computer in a  1/10 size Ford Focus Rally Car that uses a mini-ITX motherboard. Fourth is a similar Volvo S40. These last two are one or a kind creations, and it would take considerable skill to be able to make something like that, but it gives you an idea of what is possible. Amazing, huh?

486sxProcessor

well i wasnt really basing its  speed on its looks  The internal parts arent very bad
intel celeron with 400mhz its not too bad.. well it is comparing it with the pentium4 and AMD  athlon chips.. Thanks for your help Hopefully i will be able to find one :)