• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Power Cable For Asus Xonar DX Audio Card

Started by corndale, July 29, 2009, 21:26 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

corndale

The Asus Xonar DX audio card which I recently purchased requires power by way of a 4-pin connector.  The supplied cable with the audio card has a 4-pin connector on one end and a wide 4 pin male connector on the other end.  The power supply on my Dell Studio XPS 435MT only has one free cable marked P7, with 2 rows of 3 holes on each row.  Can the P7 cable be used to provide power to the audio card if I can find the correct adapter cable for the cable which came with the audio card, and if so, where can I purchase this type of adapter cable.  I need a site which shows pictures of the cables so that I know I am purchasing the correct adapter cable.

Buffalo2102

That 6-pin connector is likely to be for a pci-e graphics card or other device but probably not a sound card.  I am not aware of any adapters for that connector anyway.

The Xonar 4-pin connector is the same as that for a floppy disk drive, I believe.  If you have the normal 4-pin molex connectors but they are all in use then you could consider buying something like this http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1097/cab-15/4_Pin_Floppy_Adapter.html?tl=g2c38&id=9NjoPUhg.

That would give you the 4-pin floppy connector you need for the Xonar and also give you another spare molex connector.  As long as the power rail can take the load then you shouldn't have a problem.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

corndale

The 6-pin connector is actually a cable with a 2x3 hole connector marked P7, which I believe is used for optical drives.  I have diligently search for an adapter which will connect the P7 cable to the 4-pin connection on the Xonar DX without success.  I will probably, with regret, exchange the Xonar for one of the PCIe Sound Blaster cards which do not require power from the power supply.  M-Audio has a 1010LT professional audio card for alot more money and is more than I need.  Also, it is only stereo.  Does anyone have any other suggesions?

Mark H

The card uses a 4 pin floppy connector. If you don't have any free floppy connectors, then you need your best bet is the cable that buff has already posted for you.

The P7 connector designation is just what Dell decided to call it. From your description, it sounds like a power connection for a pci-e video card. DO NOT try to use that with your sound card.

Just get the cable Buff suggested, disconnect a power supply Molex from an item in the computer and connect it to the new cable. Then plug one of the molex connections of the new cable back into the location where you unplugged the molex. The floppy connection can then be connected directly to the audio card.

If the cable Asus provided is an adapter to convert a regular 4 pin Molex to a floppy connection as I believe, you can simply get a Y-adapter to split a Molex into two useable Molex connections.

If it was me, I would go with the cable Buff mentioned. I have ordered from frozenCPU before and they are a legit company and very reputable.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

corndale

Thank you Mark & Buff.  I will give this a try.