• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

DOUBLE. OR NOTHING

Started by Ace, October 11, 2005, 07:17 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

I was reading this new PC Mag, and got to thinking...  I know, I know.  That doesn't bode well.

Ok, anyway, I'm noticing these new state of the art cutting the envelope pushing the boundaries pc's have twice the parts in them.  They're running these double CPU's, and double video cards, and double hard drives...  Double the memory of what used to be deemed acceptable.  Water and air cooled.  Double DVD drives.  USB access front and back.  

So.  I'm thinking of goosing my Monarch, accordingly.

First thing I'm gonna try is double the power.  I'm gonna get one of those AC plugs that has the triple headers, or a good extension cord.  Plug the power cord into that, then run DOUBLE plugs into the power strip.  That should double the power, accordingly.

I was thinking of adding memory.  I don't know if you can insert a new stick on TOP of another one, but I may try it.  I figure the vertical latency will increase accordingly.  You know, my dad used to say "You can call me latency, but just not for dinner."  Well, actually, I said that, just now.  And if I do go for a 6600 GT maybe I'll just hold on to the Ti4200 and fit them both in.  I would think one would lay on top of the other.  Maybe the two fans would work like a twin engine Corsair.  Zoom!  

I could try the hard drive in a Raid array.  I've got Wasp and Hornet spray, so at least that way the thing won't get buggy.  I thought about going with multiple controllers, like I did with the trackball and mouse and joystick.  But that actually didn't speed me up.  It's like having 3 guitars; it doesn't help you play faster...  

I hope all this SuperSized double-patty stuff will still fit in the case.  With all that speed comes Heat, so besides the twin-fan nVidias I may run a house fan in too.  Or try water cooling...  I've got a spray bottle; I could give the whole thing a squirt through the floppy door, especially while gaming.  That oughta bring it down a few Cents.

Oh; and double CDs and DVDs.  I've done that.  When you slide in a CD or DVD, and shut the door, and it doesn't play... and then you realize you just put one in on top of one that already was.  In.  And then the door doesn't want to open.  And then, if it does, the one is jammed in there.  And then, the needle nosed pliers.  I can't say that doubles the performance...  Oh; what I could do is burn a Neverwinter disk, and then put in Two At Once!  The game would have to pick up, then.  Or run my Corel clip art through the Word docs; that oughta bring out the color.  Or plug BOTH Canons into the USB hub at once and download DOUBLE PRINTS!  That Would Be Something!!

I can't wait to get working on this upgrade.  I'll be sure to poast schematics and photos and help tips, as the technician.  I don't really think I'm going to go Dual Monitor; right now I've got the little Magnavox in here, so I can just watch TV and the Mag with both on at once.  I've just got to remember which is the real game, and which is Madden...

Alright, as soon as I have more coffee I'll get right on my computer.  I think the faux Scandinavian desk will hold both of us.

Ace; and they said I wasn't computer literate.

Ring bells for service.

Bill

Yes, and they were right!  Getting on your computer will only add to the heat.  (Gee, do computers go into heat?)  BTW, what's a faux desk?  Maybe a table that looks like a desk?  

editorital note: that was really very funny and I can't believe this poast has gone a full day without someone commenting.  Besides me.  The author should not interpret this lack of response as a critical non-statement, simply an absence of interest, or people, or both.  Keep up the good work.  Someday you will be recognized for your contributions. Maybe.  ed.  

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

pat

Yeah, I agree with Ed, nice narrative. All the right words, right there, in all the right places.
I was simply captivated.

I?d like to note however, my late response is not from a lack of interest, I was simply running late for work this morning and only had time to reply to one poast.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

First off, I don't even remember who Ed is.  I've seen a lot of folks come through here during the years, but I don't recall an Ed.  I would concur that Pat is the author of his poast, and I feel he did a great job with it, especially under the time constraints and all.

It's bad enough to be accused of theft but no way am I going to confess to kidnapping.  I haven't held a darn soul captive here in quite some time.  Plus, the dang ransom probably wouldn't even be worth it.  

I'm glad Cars got Shelby to cough up the keys.  I guess that's what cats do.  Although I can't say I've ever seen one do keys.

And thanks to Bill for his kind words and great spelling and accurate punctuation, too.  It's not a faux desk, it's a pretty real one.  You all have seen the photos.  It's faux Scandinavian.  I mean, sure, it's blond and all but it's not really Nordic.  I've got one of those, with the levers and tread, and it's a lot more strenuous than the desk is.

I'm also thinking of doubling the CPU, since Cars said I'm a bottleneck.  I guess it's from Ja saying I stole his bottle.  Maybe I can get another 1800+ Palomino to go with mine (I know; it's really a 1500 "but acts like an 1800...").  That's like saying he's a 15 year old who acts 18.  I mean, what's the difference...  Two of them should get me to 3000 or 3600, which oughta be twice as fast right there.  I bet after I do all this doubling I should have Doom set in really well on my pc.

Ace; it'll be the Doom Room.  All heck oughta break loose; yee ha!
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Let's see.  Two Palominos, hitched to the same wagon probably wouldn't get to 3000 fps or mph but they could surely haul a lot more moonshine than just one hitched to the wagon.  But then there would be 2 of them to feed, curry and muck out the stall.  Afterward.   Not sure it'd be worth the effort.  I mean, doing it for one is bad enough, as it is.  ( a dangling whatisits may not be correct but it's easier.)

There have been times lately that I thought it was already the 'Doom Room'.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

halokid

Now thats An Idea!!!  Just slapping on every spare gpu, cpu, ram, and harddrive like a big tin foil ball collection peice. Then you roll your Cpu  Ball
down to the Computer Junk yard and let that baby fly across the junk yard collecting like a snowball. By the time your done of course your gonna have to roll it into your back yard.. cause it wont fit into the house, but Dang youll have a 101 googlehertz computer with SLI to the quintuplit power.