• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Opening Internet on Wireless

Started by Pepper, March 23, 2008, 10:49 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepper

Hi there.
I recently installed a wireless router.  I get my wireless conection, it says the strength is "excellent".  Everything looks great, but I can't open any internet pages.  It always says "page not found", as if I'm not connected. 

When I plug the cable back into the laptop directly from the modem, everything connects just fine. 

I'm sure this must be some simple setup problem, but I don't know how to resolve it.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks,
Pepper

pat

A few questions.

What brand of laptop do you have, operating system installed and router? Is windows set to handle your wireless connection or is there a third party application installed to handle it? This is sometimes the case.

You need to set your router and your laptop up so they connect to each other, the simplest way is just with an open system, however this is not recommended.  Check the documentation that came with the router on how to log onto your router and do so, preferably with a system connected with a network cable so if you mess up any settings you can still access the router. Navigate to the wireless setup on your router and name the SSID connection set it to  WPA/PKS, TKIP and set a password.

Next open the wireless connection in windows found under network connections and open the wireless properties, open a new connection and name it, set it to WPA/PSK, TKIP and enter the password you set on the router. That should get you connected.

This is just a basic overview of some of the step you need to take and your system and router may be just a little different here and there, check the documentation that came with your router.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Buffalo2102

When swapping between having the laptop and the router directly connected to the modem, you must reboot (power-cycle) the modem.  This is so that the modem can adjust to the fact that it has a different device attached to it.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.