• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Installing a Hard Drive

Started by tmk, November 16, 2003, 20:10 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

tmk

Im in the planning stages of upgrading my hard drive.  I currently have a 6GB WD drive,OEM.  My MOBO is a Biostar M6TLC.  It has a Pent II 333Mhz CPU.  I recently upgraded my bios from Biostar's website,which described that the new bios was to support an ATA 66.  My question is in regard to the ATA.  Every drive I see advertised is for ATA 100.  I would assume these are backward compatable.  Can I still use this type of drive?  I definitely want to address any compatability issues before I buy.  I have already sent an e-mail to Biostar asking about the MOBO capabilities in regard to hard drives.  Any other suggestions?

query

Yes, ATA100 and 133 drives are backward compatible with any IDE controller.

If Biostar's model numbers hold that's a 440LX board, which is ATA33, not ATA66.  You might want to get a controller card with ATA66 or 100 support - it's also possible that the system may have trouble with a drive over 32 GBytes - a lot of older boards with AwardBIOS do.  The controller card will fix that.

tmk

Thanks Query,
I've heard of that.  Any ideas where I would find this or where to research how it works etc.  This is a learning experience as well.

query

All you need is a PCI card IDE controller - sometimes you can purchase a kit with one included with a hard drive.  If not, they are inexpensive ($30 or less) -- Promise (www.promise.com) is probably the best of them.

tmk

Query,
Thanks for putting me on the right path.