• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

How do you name your computers?

Started by Chandler, January 25, 2009, 15:24 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you choose the name for your computers, as used in your home network?

I call it "Computer"
0 (0%)
Named after myself
0 (0%)
Named after wife/girlfriend
0 (0%)
Named after mythical creature
0 (0%)
Named after its purpose (e.g. SERVER, HTPC, GAMES)
1 (10%)
Named after place
1 (10%)
Named after sports team
0 (0%)
Named after brand of computer
0 (0%)
I left it as default
0 (0%)
Other (explain)
8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Chandler

I'm just curious as to how you name your computers.  I never paid much attention to this until I began to use networks, both at home and in my job, at which point I realised how important it is to give a computer a unique name.

In our company, each office decides how they want to name their computers.  I "inherited" our computers and the previous person had decided upon PLACEFUNCTIONNUMBER.  This makes sense, and it's logical, but we have 5 AutoCAD systems in one office, and at times it's difficult to remember which one is SHEFCAD01, SHEFCAD02 etc.  One of the other offices has named their computers after mythical creatures or gods.

In my home network, they're named after members of a team of dancers that I met whilst vacationing in Cuba.  With real names, I find it easier to remember which computer is which, because it kind of gives each computer a personality.  But because they're Cubano names (e.g. Dunia and Yarida as opposed to say Kate or Sarah), it's unlikely that if a friend or family member brings their computer and connects it to my network that there will be a clash of names.  The only issue is in pronunciation, so I probably wouldn't use foreign names in our company (for example Maylet is pronounced "my let" and not "may let").

So, how do you guys name your computers?

pat

I only have my small home network to contend with so I just name my computers with the motherboard I used.
M2N, K7NTriton, etc.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bill

This build I named Raptor 1 for the HD.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

scuzzy

I patterned the name of my main computer and one of its hard drive partitions after our work model. My laptop is named after the make, "Toshiba". The secondary computer is named after the case "Foxxcon".

The reason I named the main computer after our work model is because of the database that I built for the office. Since it is installed on a network, the network directory has to function both at work and at my home.

Scuzzy; I tried "AceBozo" but it didn't work.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

halokid

Mine are based at whatever i happen to think of at the time.
here are some names i might use or have used.

1. voltron
2. crazy cheese
3. Bingo
4. Wolfgang
5. Plinko
6. dancing critters

Buffalo2102

I name so that I can recognise what the device is - no special method or format though.

Work PC's on the corporate network are all numerically named but others are named after food, e.g. Sausages, Bacon, Toast.......

Buff; I think it's just to boost takings in the canteen....
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

tanked

I work one many diffrent networks which I always set up. So I start with the main Server.

Dragon (Main Servers)
DragonSQL
DragonBackup

Then the workstations are as such, if they are in the same rooms the rooms are colored.

Reddragon00
Reddragon01

Bluedragon01

And so on.

Mark H

My PCs get named a name that describes their purpose like photoPC, mainPC, ipcop, ect...
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Ace

I'm not sure I understand.. my computer already had a name.  I just asked him what his name was, and he said
"Hal." 
So, I named him what he was already named... 

Ace; I don't know why he calls me "Dave" though...
Ring bells for service.