• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Backup: Veritas Backup MyPC from Stomp

Started by Neon, February 17, 2002, 00:37 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Neon

Veritas BackUp MyPC 4.71 "BUMP"

Veritas Backup MyPC (formerly Backup Exec Desktop) for Windows XP Home/XP Pro/2000/ME/NT4 SP4/98SE/95 OSR2

The desktop software cannot be obtained from Veritas directly. Instead, it can be purchased through one of the two "authorized partners". In the USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, it is Stomp Inc. In Europe, it is Orlogix

Stomp prices the CD-ROM version at $80 USD, and there is an electronic download version for $70 USD. However, if you have used an earlier backup software package, you may be eligible for an upgrade version. The upgrade CD-ROM is $40 USD, but I got the $30 USD download:

Download Veritas Backup MyPC from Stomp - 9.0MB.

There is also a 30 Day fully functional Trial Version available for download.

With my old computer, I did Travan tape backups, using HP Colorado Backup II. Now, inexpensive tape drives for home computers are hard to find, and CD-Rs are both plentiful and cheap. The ideal backup software for my new computer should interoperate with CD-R, whilst not compromising any of the advantages of tape. The important considerations are:

ability to backup NTFS formatted partitions to CD-R/CD-RW

NTFS file permissions are retained upon restore

ability to backup over LAN to a backup server

selective (incremental) backup and restore

automated backup scheduling for off-peak usage times

Veritas BUMP meets my expectations. It is powerful, flexible, and easy to use data protection and disaster recovery software for a single computer or peer to peer network, with the following features:
  • Easy to use. Choose a Wizard or Go Manual with the Explorer-like interface.
  • Backup and Restore Wizards that guide you through each procedure with clearly defined instructions.
  • Disaster Recovery allows you to restore your system from a boot disk (currently not available under Windows XP).
  • Peer-to-peer networking support and scheduling enables backup of files from networked drives for comprehensive data protection.
  • Unattended backups with flexible user-defined scheduling. Different backup job sets may be created and independently scheduled.
  • Extensive device support includes Recordable CD/DVD, Tape, Zip, Jazz, and other removable media drives.
  • Support for media spanning and compression to maximize usage of media capacity.
  • Perform full, partial or differential backups.
  • Select "One Button" backup to restore the whole system including registry - or select a drive, directory, or just a single file.
Norton Ghost, PowerQuest Drive Image, NTI Backup Now, Dantz Retrospect Backup, Nova Backup, and Iomega QuikSync were also considered. Some of these would also satifactorily meet my needs, and some do not. However, this is not intended to be a complete roundup of all backup software. If you care to debate the merits of these, then poast a follow up. Note that "rollback" type software is in a different class. These programs can quickly get you out of a minor jam such as a faulty drivers install, but don't provide disaster (fire, flood, hard drive failure) recovery. Thus utilities such as Roxio Go Back or PowerQuest Second Chance were not considered.

After a couple weeks of use, Veritas BUMP from Stomp has been terrific, even though the name sounds like a Dr. Seuss character. ;D The user interface is exactly like Colorado Backup, but Veritas BUMP works with more than only tapes. It is able to back up all the files, including system files that are in use, and the registry. I burned a full system backup to a set of CD-Rs, and have been making regular scheduled unattended differential backups to another machine on my LAN, with compression ratios typically about 7:2. Aaaah, now that's data security. :D

DISCUSS HERE
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition