• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Started by pat, June 11, 2009, 20:58 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

pat

This is a handy little utility;
Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

A fellow brought me his laptop today after a failed itunes update that left his installation of itunes unusable. When I tried to reinstall the program it would fail do to a failed uninstall of quicktime (part of the install) as the uninstaller had corrupt files or more precisely corrupt file locations.

Installed the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and removed all references to the various parts of itunes and then the new install proceeded smoothly. 

Note that the Cleanup utility does not remove the programs or folders, just the installer information.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LugwidVanB

Pat, I ran across this while struggling to install itunes on xp. I started to run it but it shows a list of programs it will delete if this is run. They include a long list of things like acrobat reader, office, and many others. You have reinstall all these components. You don't have an option to select a few. its all or nothing. There was no listing for itunes, only for quick time and apple installer so I didn't run it. Is is correct to say that every program listed will have to be reinstalled?

Tom

pat

No, I just highlighted the one entry at a time I wanted to remove and that was all that was removed.

Note there are several entries associated with the itunes application, Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device Support and/or Mobile Me, Apple Software Updater, QuickTime and of course the itunes application. Any one of these failing to install can screw up the whole installation.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LugwidVanB

Ok. I should have known to try that ??? Anyway, that didn't work either. Thanks,

Tom