• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Windows 7 Preorder

Started by pat, June 26, 2009, 05:47 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

pat

If you plan on upgrading to Windows 7, now may be a goof time to preorder the upgrade version of Home Premium or Business at half off.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order-email.aspx

Available until 7/11 or until supplies last, whatever that may mean.

I grabbed a few for myself and family members.  
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

Did you see anything about which bit version this is? 32-bit vs. 64-bit?

If it's 32-bit, I'm not sure how well that will install on my current 64-bit Vista setup on my laptop. Unless, of course, I do an clean install.

Scuzzy; as opposed to a dirty install.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

Well, I'm almost, pretty sure, it is 64 bit and/or 32 bit.

The product description at newegg.
(quote)Takes full advantage of 64-bit PC hardware and memory.

And following the link to MS.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare-editions?T1=tab04

Again you get the message that it "Takes full advantage of 64-bit PC hardware and memory."

I'll ask in the newegg forum to find out for sure because I don't want it if it isn't and will cancel my preorder.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Mark H

What gripes me is that there isn't a preorder for the ultimate ediition to upgrade my Vista Ultimate to the same level of features. I have the retail version of Vista Ultimate, so I figure I can use the upgrade with it and install it over and over again as I upgrade hardware or move it to a different PC.

My other PC is an OEM version of XP, so I don't think I can do the same with it meaning I might get a retail version for it. What do you guys think?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

pat

Actually there is a Windows 7 preorder for the ultimate version, there is however, no discount. You can preorder it from the Microsoft Store .

I too have full retail versions of Vista Ultimate (32&64) and find it hard to justify the price for features I seldom, if ever, use. Home Premium is a nice fit for my needs and I will most likely use an old copy of XP to validate the install. An XP upgrade will require a clean install and that is just fine with me.

At some point in the future I may splurge for an Ultimate version of 7, but I'm just not too sure about that.

I believe you can move an OEM copy of XP from one computer to another, they changed the wording in the ULA with the release of Vista to clarify OEM means for one computer, usually tied to the motherboard. I have used OEM windows with an upgrade version in the past (98 to ME).  

I did read in another forum that the upgrade version will include both 32 and 64 bit versions, evidently someone made a call to MS. Just don't kick me if that turns out to be false.

Mark H

I wonder if I will have the option to install the 64 bit version on my XP machine since it will be validating a 32 bit copy.

Clean installs is the only way I will upgrade an OS.

Mark H

Mark H

It looks like W7 Ultimate has less advantages over W7 Pro than its Vista counterparts. If the only difference truly is bitlocker and extra languages, then I don't need Ultimate.

I can upgrade both PCs to Professional for $200, while one Ultimate upgrade would be $220! It is a no brainer. The only problem is that I am still unemployed (6 months now) and can't see spending any money right now. There is no guarrantee I will be working when the product ships.

Mark H

Buffalo2102

I registered with Amazon to be notified when the preorder (at Ã?£44.99) was available.  As soon as I received the e-mail I went to the site to order it and the price was Ã?£74.99.  It seems that they already ran out of their initial pre-order stock.

Luckily I found it still available at another retailer for �£44.99.

Looks like the preorder option is popular.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.