• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Mitac 7321 cd-rom problem

Started by a-zareba, May 03, 2006, 10:56 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

a-zareba

Attempting to replace a non-functioning combi-drive with a number of different optical drives ...

When I plug in a variety of optical drives & reboot, the device is
showing up as IDE device number 2 disabled. The actual optical drives seem to want to work - I put a CD in & they spin up

The only optical drive I've got it to recognise was a basic CD Rom
unit, something like a Teac 224.
Any ideas ?

Chandler

Welcome to Poasters!

With notebook optical drives, the Master/Slave/CS setting is usually determined by the firmware (rather than by jumpers as with desktop drives).  

I think the Mitac 7321 expects drives to be Masters but could your new drive perhaps be a Cable Select drive?

If they're Toshiba's it's easy to tell from the firmware version printed on the top of the drive.

mickystan

Hi a-zareba
i have the same problem here but mine is the tiny 7321 believe it to be the same laptop to what ive found..did you find out how to fix this issue as its got me stumped?
YAY I'VE GOT MAIL

mickystan

hey chandler
just took my rom out to find its a toshiba drive model number
sd-r2512
i can find on the rom a ver.no......000
rom ver.......1020

it does say above that csel and atap i know on my pc i put in a new dvd rom and put it to cable select and the dvd and the hdd was fighting so to speak for master position and the bios couldnt detect it.

could this be the problem with this laptop if so how can i change the drive to a slave?
YAY I'VE GOT MAIL