• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Auslogics Disk Defrag (Free)

Started by scuzzy, January 09, 2010, 23:27 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Over the course of time I have tried various disk defragmenters, both free and paid. The last paid version that I used was Diskeeper 8, with fairly good results.

Some of the free versions that I have used are JKDefrag (now MyDefrag), Defraggler and Smart Defrag. But I was having a problem. I had Smart Defrag 4.2.6 installed on my HP laptop and it took awhile to figure out that it would cause the laptop to occasionally freeze up. The HP laptop has Windows 7 64-bit installed.

I wasn't keen on the new MyDefrag, and I never did like Defraggler all that much. So I took off looking for alternatives and I came across Auslogics Disk Defrag. After reading some very positive reviews, I decided to give it a try.

I used it on my laptop to replace Smart Defrag, and the freeze-ups instantly disappeared. Setting up the program was fairly easy, but I had to go into the Settings and change the defaults to make sure that the program starts with Windows logon, and to have it minimize to the notification area on close. I also had to change the settings for Auto Defragmentation under "View". Auto Defragmentation should be under Settings instead, but it's a minor complaint. Since completing the changes the program has run smoothly in the background.

The first thing I noticed about Auslogics Disk Defrag is that it is *fast*. I also like the pleasant yet simple user interface. I went ahead and added it to my other systems and was pleasantly surprised to find that it will defragment all of my hard drives at once on my multi-hard drive systems. For example, it defragmented the 3 internal hard drives on my main system, plus the external hard drive, plus the flash drive - all at once. I could not have been more pleased.

Auslogics Disk Defrag is free for personal use and runs without nagware, ads, etc. If this program sold for $30, I would still heartily recommend it. If you decide to give it a try, make sure you look at all the settings options to customize it to your liking.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

Agreed, I tried that on my oldest daughters system just this last holiday break. She had brought her system home with her for a "tune-up". I didn't have time to do a reinstall but did go through it and cleaned it up and tried that program and was impressed with its speed.

I have since installed it on my media PC and will eventually put it on my main system.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64