• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Recent Posts

Started by 44mayg, January 27, 2004, 18:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

44mayg

To the admins:

I don't know if you have control over the Recent Posts area, or not. If so, might I suggest returning it to it's previous format?

It was nice to be able to click it and open a new window to the last 10 poasts. Actually, I wish it had been more than 10, 20 would have been better. But with the way it is now, a person gets no idea what the poasts are about. You have to click and read each one to see the content. Kinda like going into each forum and clicking on every thread to see what it's about. Much more time consuming.

Thanks!

scuzzy

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

44mayg

Thanks Scuzzy. I hope the change back is fine with everyone else. I'd expected a little discussion from others to see if the sentiment was the same. I might be the weird one, with normal humans having liked the change :-)

Mark H

You aren't alone. I like the old way as well. It makes it look less cluttered at the bottom of the screen and if you want to see the recent poast, you can click the link and presto!

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

44mayg

Well, Mark, at least I know I'm not the only weird one here :-)

Just watch. Ace is gonna come in and tell Scuzzy to put it back.

Scuzzy will tell Ace he should stay in Indiana and never leave his house.

Then Ace will tell Scuzzy he looks like his cat and that his Gremlin is better than Scuzzy's Honda.

Then Scuzzy will tell Ace his feet stink and are too big, and that he looks like his Gremlin.

Then Ace will call Scuzzy a maroon.

Dude will come in and say Ace is funny, and stick a bunch of smilies in.

Mark H

Did someone say the word Ace? I like to think you are talking about cards and not jesters. ;)

Mark H

Ace

WELL HELLOO PEOPLE CAN HEAR YOU IN HERE.  GEEZ CRIMINY.

It's not like you have the door closed, you know.  Scuzzy, if you would please oh honorable king, please put things back the way they were.  However that was.  Not like I was paying attention, particularly.  And; may I add:  your feet stink, and are too small.  I did not, ever, own a Gremlin.  I did own two Hornets, back to back, of which my wife will not forgive me.  Especially for the second, which idled at something like 60 mph and had the quaint slider interval windshield wiper dashboard control.  Plus, the crease in its Orange side.  

Unlilke the 70 Hornet, with the Pez decal on the glovebox.  

Scuzzy, you are a maroon, too, if I haven't said so lately.  Also, with all the snow, I shan't be leaving my house.  

Ok.  That oughta do it.  Dude, if you would please, follow up with some smilies and a couple quotes, including "Ace is an idiot, yet funny too" comments.  Thank you.  

I do my best.  A Jester's lot is not an easy one, may I say.  I do hate clutter at the bottom of my screen; not like I'm using screens at the moment.  Not with these temperatures.

Ace;  I hate Winter.  Plus, predictability.  When I'm gone, I hope people will say "Golly, he had a good heart.  Although his liver was shot."
Ring bells for service.

trav

:( , I liked it the other (more selection) way, but its ok.
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

44mayg

Dude, I don't know if you and I are talking about the same thing. The way the recent posts had been changed, there were only five there. And it was the same as opening a forum and looking at the threads. Are you sure you weren't looking at all the smilies instead?

Ace, you should probably keep quiet and go back to scraping the toe jam from your toenails. Word has it here on the west coast thats the reason everyone here is glad the winds blow southwest to northeast. Some guy in Indiana growing panda jam in his shoes. By the way, I will give you credit for the Hornets. They are actually one step up from a Gremlin :-)

Mark, sorry I got this started. I kinda figured Ace would show up and Dude would follow. You know Ace............ he can smell his name being typed from 50 paces. Maybe 50 Pacers. I think he had two or three of those vehicles too. Maybe a Pinto or three.

Some day, Dude will own a car. He'll look high and low to find his dream machine. No expense will be spared. Newspaper ads. Auto trader magazines. Emails. Hand written letters. (with no speel chucker) Phone calls and trips across the country.

Color won't matter. Condition won't matter. Cost won't matter. Come rain, sleet or snow........ he's gonna have a Hornet!!!

After 30+ years, I still have my 67 Chevelle SS. In thirty years, Dude will be able to say the same about his Hornet. Probably have a Gremlin and a Pinto too :-)

Ace

I resemble hold it resent your remarks, dangit.  And, once again, I've heard my name mentioned.  Well, not really my name, but the other one.  I did own a Pinto, I will readily admit.  It was very pretty; silver with the red contrast lower panel.  A runabout, with the full rear window glass.  The car yesterday voted the Worst Of All Time, even beyond a Yugo.  No Pacer, although the art teacher where I taught had one.  Hey; remember the denim interiors in AMC cars?  Hey, remember AMC cars?  You will also note there are no Pintos, nor Hornets, on the road.  Well, you might guess they've all been snatched up by collectors.  You might.  I guess a junkyard is a "metal collector."

What my previous motor vehicles, and toes, have to do with your complaints about recent "posts" being recently changed is beyond me.  And why, after all these years, you mispelled Poast.  Or why, the balmy breeze from the grand Northwest inundated the kingdom of Michiana with about a foot of stinking snow yesterday.  Plus, who put the dang lake there, anyway.  I would blame Michigan, since it's named after them.

The Chevelle is obviously a keeper, and well cared for.  I wonder why Ford didn't make a Fordelle or why there wasn't a Pontiacavelle.  

If there was a car called a Machi, it would have been Machiavelli.  Ferrariavelli.  I shall now sit here and amuse myself with other variations on this one joke.  Then I'll go blow the driveway, again.  And think of more.

Ace; I wouldn't have minded rain, as much.
Ring bells for service.

44mayg

Ahhhhh, I thought you had mentioned a Pinto once upon a time in a land no so far away.  I don't mean beans. Lordy! Ace, pinto beans and soggy panda jam dripping from his shoes. That's probably a combination no landfill would accept. Dude would probably even leave the room.

Your feet came into this cuz we were having a conversation, and lo and behold, who comes walking on in cuz he heard his name being typed? Ace, of course. We knew you were coming long before you got here. Since this room happens to be up wind, your feet gave it away 233 steps afore you even entered.

I have to laugh. My sister and brother in law had a green Pacer at one time. And a Rambler another time. Sometimes they would ramble around with the Pacer, and pace around  somewhat when they had the Rambler. Kinda like tumbleweeds, you know.

Do you mean 'Post' was misspelled when it should have been 'Poast'? I'm confused, Dang it! It says recent "POSTS" right there on the front page. So, I didn't misspell it. Someone else did. Not me. They did. Always wondered about that.

And the button at the bottom of the reply page, right next to the 'Preview' button also says 'Post'. Now, I ask you, did I spell those wrong too? Or was that again someone else? Don't blame me if I'm comfoozed about the whole Dang post/poast thing any more.

Yeah, I've kept the Chevelle. I keep it well. And I'll keep on keeping it too. Right in the garage. And Ford did make a car like that, cept with a different name. One that people will pay big bucks for now. Some kind Boss thing, like a 302. Same as your shoe size. (302 is considered little in car/foot sizes)

They had another one that's a collector now too. The Mustang. As popular as it was, they could have called it Muchelle. Kinda like the Beatles song "Michelle".

Pontiac did have one. It was called a GTO. Some called it a Little GTO, and even made a song. I think the little part was referring to your feet. Maybe the GTO part too. As in, like, you know...... what people say when you walk into a room while looking at the panda jam leaking from them little feet.

Get Them Out!! That's really what GTO means. I read it somewhere. Well, maybe just here. But I did read it.

Don't forget the Rollsavelli. And the Porschelle. The Toychelle. The Hondavelli. I think they made a BMWelle too. I could be wrong on that one. Maybe it was a Beemerelle.

I still drive Toyota's and a VW camper van now. And a well taken care of Chevy now and then. I think Scuzzy probably still drives a Honda. Maybe a Mazda. Dave still drives Buicks. Well, he did till that guy turned it into a blue Belgian waffle.

By the way, you misspelled "misspelled". But I can understand. It has more syllables than post. Or poast. You're forgiven.

Mark H

OK. Ace drove a pinto and Dude will drive a Grimlin or Hornet in a few years. 44mayg drives a 67 Chevelle SS as well as a Toyota and VW.

Ace had to give up the pinto, because the head liner collapsed due to the odors from his soggy panda jam dripping from his shoes.

Scuzzy is too busy with his Honda/Mazda to chime in to this conversation.

I personally drive a Toyota Tundra 4x4, because the WV hills can be pretty treacherous in the winter. Since Ace doesn't like winter, I don't mind having it around. We also have an Odsmobile, which is really a GM with a little more sound proofing.

I think my nose is starting to burn, because Ace is about 233 steps away from poasting. Geez Louiz, I don't know that I can take anymore of the soggy panda jam.

I think 44mayg and myself will have to find a secret place to talk about what we don't like. The problem is that Ace would still find us somehow. I think it is tied to his fortune telling. Ancient times have shown us that some jesters could tell the future. Of course those jesters didn't have stinky feet.

Dude, or maybe it is Travis F, will eventually chime in with more ;D.

Continuing with the muscle car theme from 44mayg's last poast, my Dad got me a nice hard back book on muscle cars. Very nice book indeed.

Mark H

44mayg

Hi Mark

I can relate to a book like that Muscle Car Book. In fact, I can relate so well, I got one from someone as a present for something I can't remember whether birthday or Christmas. Anyway, I got one of them big hard books a few years ago too. Pictures of the cars I used to see cruising around all the time while I was a teenager. I bought my Chevelle when I was 19. Traded my 58 bug on it. Paid $1500 for the Chevelle. With all the engine work and power stuff I did to it, along with other stuff, that $1500 was only a small piece of the cake. I have to show you a little something here:

Feature Chevelle

After many years of searching, I finally came across a brand new OEM shift boot this past summer. FINALLY! Still in it's original GM packaging, that dang thing cost me almost $300. (Shift boots are normally around $25) I tell yuh, they aren't easy to find for a 67 Chevelle SS, 4 speed, bench seat without console.

The old boot hangs in my garage. Same place my autographed rod from John Force's car hangs. Had to come up with something creative in hopes to get that rod prior to going to the races. So I did, created it and showed it to him at the drags in Seattle. He asked what I wanted, and....... well, that's why the rod is in my garage today. Also got all this on video so the origin can't be disputed. Wives can be good for running the vid when the occasion warrants it :-)

My regular driving car is an 86 Toyota MR2 with only a little over 100,000 miles on it. Our other Toyota, which my wife drives, is a 92 Celica. The VW van is an 81 camper with a pop-top sleeping area, two burner stove, sink, fridge, and lots of cabinets and storage. You could literally live in this thing. A most excellent camping/travel rig.

Ace

Ok; okay.  First off, I don't mispell misspell.  That's just how I spell it.  Secondly, I blame Scuzzy for the whole mispelled "Post" stuff that's around here, since he's the master of the house or warden or whatever and so should take responsibility for every dang little thing that goes wrong, even stuff that I cause.

Secondly, I did have a Mustang.  A 68.  Sadly, it rusted through after being re-fabricated after the first rust through.  A 68 is the model for the new upcoming Mustangs, of which I am pleased.  

Otherwise, Elvis Costello said writing about music is like dancing to architecture, so I figure reading about cars is akin to humming to lunchmeat.  Although I do like reading car mags.  

Thirdly, my feet are fine.  Give it a rest.  Or let me put them up, and give them a rest.  I don't even want to think how you'd make a jam out of Pandas.  At least it'd be better than a preserve, since you'd think it'd at least go away over time.

Scuzzy has terribly tiny feet, and I thought they were in an Acura.  But that was awhile back, so they're probably now in some Crown Vic or Impala with a christmas tree on top.  You'd think he'd take it down, by now, since his birthday finally ended.

Ace; Mark misspeled VW again.  Buggy Punch.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

When they're not in my Acura, they are in either a Crown Vic or an Impala since we have both.

Otherwise, my feet are fine are, thank you. It's nice to know you care.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

This is a momentous occasion in the Forum, as we can all join toes or hands in celebration of the end of hostilities by the foot soldiers here.  No more will anyone's lower appendages (no, lower than that one.  Way down there, at ground level) be chastised or defamed.  No more jamming to Pandas, stinking, or shrinking.  We cherish podal diversity, and shall not denigrate the feet nor footware of our fellow Poasters.  

It's been awhile since we've had a Math problem posed, so I appreciate Scuzzy's conundrum of which car isn't he in when he's in one, and how do you fit three cars in a two-car garage.  

Perhaps he could poast a picture of the threesome parked in a space for a twosome, unless he takes road shots from his way to or from work, or even during.  That could be pretty exciting, I would think.  I don't recall any photos since the racy desktop series, or some from Scuzzy since his tour of the appliance graveyard or sitting by the side of something, somewhere.  Or that group shot of Neon, of which supposedly one was him.  Heck, I have a digital camera now.  If I knew how to poast a picture, I'd try it.  I wouldn't pose a head shot, as I know my moustache would pale next to the grandeur that is Scuzzy's.  Well, or pale in general, if it's a "in between day" for the Grecian.

Ace; it's nice to be nice to the nice.  ' :)'
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

Quote from: 44mayg on January 28, 2004, 20:30 hrs
.......I have to show you a little something here:

Feature Chevelle........

That is a sweet looking car Steve! I like it.

Mark H

Ace

Thank you.

Oh; hold it. Dang.  Ok; sorry.  My mistake.  I thought you were talking about me, again, as usual.  "Oops."   Heh.

I couldn't figure why my car would be that appreciated; shoot, with the road salt and snow it's hardly even blue anymore.

Ace; suppose I could drive it through the yard to clean it...
Ring bells for service.

44mayg

Thanks Mark. Well, I say thanks, but I can't take credit for building it. GM did, I just own it. I did all the goodies after GM built it. When you give it a little gas (Snicker!) it'll pin you to the back of the seat quite well :-)

Ace, I'm sorry to hear your car is over salted. Iodized or not? That's one thing nice about living in the area we do. It's a dry climate and cars don't really rust around here. It's a different story over the mountains where Seattle is.

By the way, my Chevelle hasn't even felt a raindrop for more years than I can remember. It never comes growling out of the garage unless the sky is clear and the ground is dry. Around here, that's most of the year. Winter does tend to leave wet stuff laying around for weeks at a time sometimes.

"I love the sound of a big block in the morning"

(Direct quote from Apocalypse now :-)

Mark H

Quote from: Ace on January 29, 2004, 13:23 hrs

I couldn't figure why my car would be that appreciated; shoot, with the road salt and snow it's hardly even blue anymore.

Ace; suppose I could drive it through the yard to clean it...

My truck is grey and even it looks filthy with all of the salt and stuff from the roads. It has been to dang cold to wash it. I would take it through mud just to make it look like it is dirty on purpose, but the mud is frozen.

Well, I guess you and I have something in common. I never thought I would say that! :o

Mark H

Ace

Thank you.

Oh; we have plenty in common.  I've driven through West Virginia, for about 10 minutes, on the road to D.C.  Thankfully, not in the winter, although the rain was sure wet back in June.

I didn't realize how dry it was N.W.  I have a desktop photo of Seattle up now, that I altered, and it's even dry.  If I get a new Mustang I'll do the same; it'll be the Summer car.

When I get it.
When I'm rich.
When...

I like "Big Block" from Jeff Beck.  I did get the Apocalypse Now redux version, that has the cut scene from the Plantation.  That was a pretty cool scene; glad it's in.  Plus the surfing.  Plus the smell of a big block in the morning.  Or sun block, if you're surfing.

Ace; I love the sound of my 3.0 Taurus in the morning when it starts when it's 3 degrees.
Ring bells for service.

44mayg

The Northwest itself isn't dry. We are on the east side of the Cascade Mountains. It's an arid, sage grass type country. I live in the Yakima Valley, which is green from canal and river irrigation. There's quite a variation of crps grown here. Some of them you might have around the house at times, like asparagus, grapes, apples, corn, anything with mint oil in it. And of course, since the valley is one of the countries largest hop growers, some of that bubbly you have on occasion probably has a Yakima Valley crop in it.

On the west side of the mountains, it's a bit more rainy and humid. When the weather comes off the ocean, it dumps it's load on the west side of the mountains. Those same clouds, when they tend to make it here, are usually drained. In fact, the Yakima Valley regularly has something around like 300 days a year where the sun shines.

You might have possibly heard of the mad cow disease found in the US? Well, that ranch happens to be 8 miles south of here in Mabton.

Price of beef hasn't been too bad around here since :-)

Hey Ace, I've been to the top of the Space Needle many times. Even the new son in law to eat in the restaurant which is right below the observation deck in the center. Over $70 for the two of us. It was our day out, and I'm glad the wife and daughter wanted a day to themselves.

Where the seating is, that part of the restaurant rotates 360 degrees about every 45 minutes. This gives you a complete view of Seattle while you eat. The tables are on, if you want to call it this, a large disk about 10 feet wide. This is the part that rotates. The kitchen and everything else is in the center. To find where a table is to serve your food, they have a computer screen that shows the location of the tables as they travel around. I have some good pics from up there. If you'd like to see them, I'll load a couple to my server a later.

Mark H

This thread is amazing. It goes from a request to muscle cars to climates and locations.

Ace, you should try driving through the eastern part of West Virginia about now. I am sure it is intereting to say the least. In my location, we don't have any snow on the ground now, but in the East, there is much snow due to the elevations.

I like to drive my truck through WV. It sets up high, so I get good views. A nice sports car would be neat to drive in the state during the summer. A convertible top would be the icing on the cake.

Mark H; thinks the phrase "you can't have your cake and eat it too" is stupid. If you don't have a cake, there is nothing to eat.

Neon

I believe the expression is supposed to be, "You can't eat your cake and have it too". In other words, you can't eat the cake and then still have your cake, because you've already eaten it.

It does seem pretty stupid, though. If one really were so gluttonous to eat a cake and want to have another one, then one should just get two cakes. Or two could get two cakes, and one could give one cake to the other one. Wait. OK. If Juan has one cake, and cuts it into two pieces, then his nieces cut one pie into two pie pieces, how many pieces of Juan's nieces one pie would Juan eat at once?

Now which queen said, "Let them eat cake"?
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

44mayg

Marie Antoinette was also called Madame Deficit and blamed for the country's
financial problems. It is true that she enjoyed a lavish lifestyle; her
mother wrote to warn her that "a queen can only degrade herself by this
sort of heedless extravagance in difficult times." But Marie Antoinette
was not quite as foolish and spoiled as the public believed. It certainly
is not true that she said "Let them eat cake" when told that people were
starving. As a woman and a foreigner she made a convenient scapegoat for
the nation's problems, and it seemed that no slander against her was too
wild to be widely believed.

Mark H

Well, I got the saying backwards, but the meaning is still pretty much the same. I would say Juan eats no pie, because he would have bought one instead of cake if he liked it better.

44mayg

This is a 100% true statement!

"When there's a cake in Steve's house, he's gonna eat all he wants of it."

Ace only wishes he knew how to spell cake so he could butt....... I mean, join in on the conversation.

Mark H

I'm just estatic that I get birthday cake next week! ;D ;D ;D Anytime someone has a birthday in our home, I can't wait to eat the cake.

I have the same responsibility in my house as Steven, which is to eat all the cake I can. :)

Mark H

trav

Quote from: 44mayg on January 28, 2004, 00:33 hrs
Dude will be able to say the same about his Hornet. Probably have a Gremlin and a Pinto too :-)

nope. Escalade! Thats what I want when i grow up :) :D
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

44mayg

Easy there Mark. I didn's say I eat all the cake I can, I said I eat all the cake I want. Well, maybe not all I really want. I limit myself on sweets. I ain't fat, and I sure the heck don't want to get there. Guess that actually makes the statement 99.9% true.

If I'm gonna get fat, it's gonna be from eating steaks. Yeah, big chunks of mad cow disease steaks bought on sale locally. Guess I'd have to eat a bunch. cuz I cut the fat from any ex-living thing I eat that has fat attached. Well, cept bacon.

Dude, why would you want one of them kinda rigs? Stinking overpriced disposable machines they are. Besides, by the time you grow up, they probably won't be around any more anyway. Actually, I think by the time you grow up, it's all gonna be anti gravity and cool stuff like that.

I predict Ace will find another Pinto, buy it, fix it.......... well, he probably won't fix it, but he'll buy it anyway and drive it forever and ever.

He'll call it his trusty little pony. His Pintcalade. His trusty steed. His baby Mustang.