• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Format Vaio

Started by mbaldw, February 27, 2007, 07:36 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaldw

Hi,

We have an old (3 years) Sony Vaio that is starting to play up (BSOD, primarily).   We've checked the HDD and memory and they seem fine, so I'm thinking it may be the O/S.   However, rather than doing a Factory Restore, we were thinking of just formatting the drive and installing a fresh copy of XP.   Aside from hopefully fixing the BSODs, this confers three major benefits to us:

1. Removes all the junk files (esp. games) that have built up and only been partially removed by "Add/Remove Programs".
2. Allows us to claim back the 10 gig that is currently "hidden" on the restore partition.
3. Prevents the system restore putting back on Norton and a host of other stuff that we only have to try and remove again.

So, my question is whether anyone knows of a good reason why Vaio's would be any more difficult to format than any standard PC?   I know that the BIOS/POST isn't displayed on start-up (we just get the blue Vaio screen), but we can enter the BIOS by hitting ESC.

I've Googled various strings that I can think relate to this topic and nobody seems to have run into any major issues, but I figured it couldn't help to ask you folks too.   Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Marc.

Bill

Just be sure you have any required drivers that might not be on XP.  I don't know about Sony but my old Dell notebook has lots of special "notebook only" little systems.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

mbaldw

Thanks Bill, you make a valid point.   The only consistent problem that my ââ?¬Å?googlingââ?¬Â unearthed was with people who struggled to find video drivers after the format.   Fortunately, the Sony Vaio website contains two large (30mb) ZIP files containing all the drivers and apps that came pre-installed with this model.   I've downloaded some of the latest drivers from the hardware manufacturer's websites and made a detailed note of the hardware.

Cheers
Marc.