• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Clock

Started by Hubie, December 19, 2002, 16:30 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Hubie

Here's a simple but legit question. If my computer clock won't keep the correct time what is the fix? My understanding is that there is an internal battery. True or False and where is it located? I have a Quantex 450 Megahertz PII purchased 1/99.

Thanks in advance for your help.  :)

Hubie

dcsun

Yes, there is a battery located on the motherboard, and it's usually fairly easy to replace.  Look for a watch-style battery about the size of a quarter, usually near the bottom half of the board.  Turn the system off and pop it out, and a shop that replaces watch batteries (or a store like Radio Shack) should be able to get you a replacement.

query

Does the time loss occur when the system is powered up, or when it's off?   If while it's off, it's likely the battery.  If the time loss occurs when the system is powered on, it's not the battery - some software application, Java applet, or driver is causing the time loss - it's a matter of systematically disabling things until the time loss stops to figure out which one.

Hubie

It happens whilst it's powered up. I usually leave it on and let power management take over about 15 minutes after it's idle. Then the monitor shuts off. Other power management functions are selected to Never.

I noticed it a couple of days ago. I was surfing before I had to go to work and was keeping track of the time on the system tray. At about 6:30 I went in my bedroom to get ready and noticed it was actually 6:45. Whoooooa, almost made me late for work. Later that night I reset it using AtomTime Pro. The next morning it was again almost exactly 15 minutes slow. That's why I was wondering. Last night I reset it and got up this morning and the time was in sync with AtomTime Pro. Soooooo, I don't know what's going on. Maybe it is some sort of program that is messing it up. (or gremlins  ;))

Maybe the above info can help pinpoint something to aid in troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks for your reply.

Hubie :)

query

Some websites' java and active X applets can steal processor cycles, slowing the clock.  So can some antivirus programs, and often times, spyware associated with gnutella programs (Kazaa, Morpheus, Limewire, WinMX, etc.).

Karen

If you're running Norton Anti-Virus, the system clock losing time has been an issue associated with Norton for a few years now. I had the same problem running NAV under Win 98 and 98SE, with both a Quantex and home built PC.  Thankfully, NAV 2002 and WinXP seem to get along fine and the system clock is back on time.  

I have 5 friends with the same problem, all running NAV...2 Dell's, 2 Gateways, 1 HP.  Once they removed NAV, all was well with the system clock.

The official word from Symantec (makers of NAV) is:

..."This problem has been reported to Symantec Technical Support, but we have not been able to reproduce the problem. We are in the process of gathering more information. We will continue to track this problem, and this document will be updated if new information or a solution is found.

Verify that you have the correct time and date format and that your system clock is set to the correct time zone.

If the system clock date and time are set correctly, then try synchronizing your system clock with the Internet time..."  

Unfortunately that's been the official word from Symantec  since I first researched the problem in 1998.  Looks like they don't want to admit to a glitch in their software and they're in no hurry to fix it.

Personally, I wouldn't be without NAV.  Just download a free auto-synch program that updates your clock with the atomic clock.

Karen
I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

query

It's been a problem with Network Associates' antivirus (McAfee) as well.

Hubie

Okey dokey. It's not a real big problem. I was just thinking maybe the battery needed to be changed. I run McAfee VirusScan Online and Personal Firewall Plus. The VirusScan updates about 2 times a week so maybe they slipped a glitch in there last time.

Thank you all for your input. You run a great site here. Sometimes I don't know what I'd do if it weren't for you folks. Especially since Quantex is no longer around to help.

Take care and Happy Holidays to all.

Hubie