• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Can't copy photos to CD

Started by LugwidVanB, June 26, 2009, 17:04 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

LugwidVanB

I finally bit the bullet and got rid of my win98 clunker, buying a used amd athlon 64 processor, asus mb, 160gig hd, 1 gig ram and more for $225. It is working fine so far but I can�t copy my photos on the old computer. I have hundreds of jpeg photos I took with a digital. I tried copying them to both an R and RW cd. I tried with Nero and couldn�t even get to first base after formatting with InCd. Then with Picasa. Both cds were blank when inserted into the new computer. I would appreciate any suggestions on how best to do this. Thanks.

pat

I would just take the hard drive out of your old computer and put it in to your new system and just copy everything over to your new hard drive.

I'm guessing your new system has an PATA hard drive in which you would set your old hard drive as slave (jumper setting) and connect it to the same ribbon cable your new hard drive is on.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Buffalo2102

I agree with Pat but would also recommend that you use an external backup drive if you don't already have one.  If the photos are valuable to you they should be backed up onto an external device anyway.  If you then change computers or anything like that they can just be restored from the external drive.

Buff.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

LugwidVanB

OK, I'm ready to try the old drive transfer route but I've not done that. When you say set the jumper do you mean physically on the mb or do it in the bios? If physically, where is that on the mb which is an Asus A8N-SLI if you know. I have the manual but it doesn't have anything regarding hard drives. Thanks

Bill

Depending on the age of the HD, the jumper switch is normally on the back end of the HD itself.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

pat

Once you have the old drive out, poast the make and model and we will help find the correct configuration. Or go to the manufacturer's web site and look it up.

Depending on the age of your new motherboard, usually, it will have two IDE connectors. One is generally used for hard drives and one is used for optical drives, two drives can be connected with the cable to each IDE connecter on the motherboard. One at the end of the cable is "Master" one in the middle of the cable is "Slave". The drive is then configured with jumpers as either Master or Slave.

Newer motherboards usually have only one IDE connection and Sata connections for hard drives and optical drives which do not need jumpers since they are one drive one connection device.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LugwidVanB

Thanks for the suggestion. It went very smoothly. I thought the jumper setting should be the same since the drive I wanted to access was the slave on the old computer. It was and thankful since I long since lost the install info. I have around 2,000 digitals I would hate to lose. Most I took myself but there is one of Shannon Tweed that shows her beautiful ears.

Buff, can you recommend an external backup that is not pricey and will hold maybe 5,000 or so photos?

Tom

Buffalo2102

Personally, I would try to obtain a decent capacity HDD (>250GB) and a suitable external drive enclosure.  This often works out cheaper than a custom backup drive, especially if you get the drive second hand or as a clearance item.  The only real drawback to this is that you don't get any extended warranty or bundled backup software but it's not really necessary IMO.

I don't really have any experience of the commercial backup drives so can't really recommend one over another.

Main things to consider are -
1. Transfer interface.  Depends on the interfaces available to you on your new PC.  If you have Firewire then use that or USB2.0.
2. Power.  You can get an enclosure that uses an external power supply or some drives/enclosures allow you to use the power from the USB bus.  That is very handy if your power outlets are limited or you are going to use the drive as portable storage.  If you are going to go this route then look for a 2.5" drive/enclosure.  It may be slightly more expensive but the decrease in size, weight and power is worth it IMO.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Mark H

Actually, if you buy a stand alone hard drive and a enclosure separately, you will get the warranty on the drive itself. Hard drives are so cheap now that I wouldn't get one second hand. There are many good enclosures out there just waiting for you to buy them and put in a hard drive.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

LugwidVanB

Thanks for the input. I found good computer mag reviews for the Seagate FreeAgent Go (500GB). Priced at $109 from Amazon who I've had good experience with so far. The optional dock ($20 from Amazon) is not necessary.

Tom