• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

logging in as administrator

Started by LugwidVanB, July 08, 2009, 15:01 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

LugwidVanB

Can anyone tell me specifically how to log on to xp as an administrator?

pat

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LugwidVanB

I created a new account, called Admin, using a password so as to be able to dl and install programs such as itunes. It had absolutely no effect. I dl itunes, click run, and box come up saying Unknown Publisher. Are you kidding microcrap, oops, microsoft? Apple is an unknown to you? I click run anyway and the box disappears along with the dl connection.

pat

All I can think of is there must be something else going on here, I've downloaded and installed itunes numerous times on systems with XP on them. Are you getting the program file straight from Apple?

I noticed in your other thread you mentioned saving the file to a temp file, not sure what you mean by that.

I always save file/program downloads to a new folder that I name with the item description in my downloads folder. I then run the installer from that folder.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LugwidVanB

Yes, I get the program direct from apple. I named a folder on the c drive 'temp' so I had a folder to dl all programs as a convenience. I've been doing that for a long time.

I found a site with previous versions of itunes. I dl several incl the earliest one but none would dl. Somebody suggested service pak 3 might be a problem. This is very wierd.

LugwidVanB

It seems it might be a security problem. I have avg free. Is there a way to completely disable it temporarily?

Also, how about temporarily disabling firewalls? Esp the windows xp firewall. Thanks

Bill

Before you disable AVG, I would turn off the XP security and then retry the d/l.  You can get to the XP security settings in the Control Panel and the Security Center folder.

I also use AVG Free and the Zone Alarm  firewall (also free) and never the XP firewall.  While I have not tried iTunes, I've also never had a d/l problem with these 2 programs.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

LugwidVanB

I tried to turn off the windows firewall. On the Windows Firewall box it says it is off. On the WIndows Sec Ctr box it says it is on, even though I rebooted after turning it off on the firewall box. I opened in the Admin account which requires a pw. Same result, it dl but says Unknown Publisher.

Bill

In my version of XP(Pro), in the Security Center there is an option to turn it off.  I used that option.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

LugwidVanB

In windows security center, the top panel has the firewall icon and a green button that says On. Clicking either only results in a drop down message that says: NVIADIA firewall is currently on. A firewall helps protect etc etc.

Clicking the On button won't give the option of turning it off. I have to click the windows firewall at the bottom of the screen to get another box that gives you the option of checking the on or off option.

Also, is it possible the NVIADIA firewall is causing problems? Thanks

Bill

You have something else running. 
#
The NVIDIA Firewall is a native hardware-optimized solution and an integrated component of NVIDIA nForce MCPs with NVIDIA Gigabit Ethernet. ...
www.nvidia.com/object/security.html
#  from google.

Bill

Mark H

Quote from: LugwidVanB on July 09, 2009, 19:43 hrs
Somebody suggested service pak 3 might be a problem. This is very wierd.

I run XP with SP 3 and installed itunes with no problems. I also have itunes installed on a 32 bit Vista installation and a 64 bit Vista installation. No problems on any of my platforms installing itunes.

I would guess there is a problem with your XP installation, so maybe you can do a repair of it before trying to install itunes again. It could also be another program causing problems. Have you scanned for viruses and spyware?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

LugwidVanB

The NVIDIA Firewall is a native hardware-optimized solution and an integrated component of NVIDIA nForce MCPs with NVIDIA Gigabit Ethernet. ...
www.nvidia.com/object/security.html
#  from google.

Okay, so should it be disabled and how is that done. I have no experience with the card. Thanks

LugwidVanB

I would guess there is a problem with your XP installation, so maybe you can do a repair of it before trying to install itunes again. It could also be another program causing problems. Have you scanned for viruses and spyware?

I only have avg which says it is running antivirus and spyware detection as well as other programs. How do you repair xp? Thanks

LugwidVanB

scuzzy

Do you have the XP installation disc? You might want to do your own clean install so that you get get all these problems behind you.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bill

Before you try a repair or reinstall of XP....  The Nvidia firewall is not part of Windows, it is built into the hardware of your machine.

If you follow the link I provided above, there is a users guide on the Nvidia site for the firewall.  You should check in the Programs section of the Start menu on your system for a folder named Nvidia Corporation.  If it's there, click on it and it should bring up the Nvidia ActiveArmor user interface manager.  There are options under the Basic Settings tab to turn off the firewall. The user guide provides step by step directions.

Bill

LugwidVanB

I disabled the NVIDIA firewall and windows firewall. Exact same result. The thing is saying no so fast it must be something in xp that is doing this.

LugwidVanB

I just bought this computer used from a guy who said he wiped the hd clean and reinstalled xp. It is a reinstallation cd from dell and says for distribution only with a dell computer. It must be old because the copyright dates from m-soft are 2001

Bill

I have run out of ideas at the moment.  But if you haven't already done so, turn one of the firewalls back on.

Bill

LugwidVanB

Thanks Bill. I turned them both back on. So you think the xp dell copy is okay? I noticed you can get an xp professional off craigslist for around $25-$30.

scuzzy

Is this the computer you're referring to?:

I finally bit the bullet and got rid of my win98 clunker, buying a used amd athlon 64 processor, asus mb, 160gig hd, 1 gig ram and more for $225. It is working fine so far but I can�t copy my photos on the old computer.

If so you have an illegal installation that may or may not be properly setup. If you are able to purchase a legitimate copy of Win XP for $25 - $30, then go for it. But make sure that it is an original disc with the original license. An original Windows XP disc will have a mirror-like label that has a 3D look.

An OEM license is fine, as long as it's not restricted such as those that are specifically made for Dell. I myself am running an OEM license on my main system.

On a side note - it's normally a bad idea to run two software firewalls at the same time as they will conflict with each other.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

I forgot to mention:

If the WinXP license was already used, then you will have to call Microsoft when you attempt to activate it. You'll have to tell them that the license is not being used on any other computer, and hopefully they will approve the license for use on your computer.

I've had to call Microsoft three or four times over the years for this same issue, and I've never had a problem.

LugwidVanB

Thanks. I just talked with a guy who has the xp pro for sale for $45. It is sealed, COA, OEM, not academic. If its still available Wed I will likely buy it. Is this a good deal? I will make shre the box has never been opened.

scuzzy

LugwidVanB

I found another one, never been opened, for $35. Got it today. I want to start from scratch, completely format the c disk since I have the Seagate external hard drive that is backing everything up. So I was told to simply insert the new xp disk and go from there and it will format and install a new copy of xp. Is this correct and are there any other instructions, esp if there is trouble. Thanks.

pat

You may find looking through this guide from the Black Viper web site helpful.
http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm

Once you get up and running make sure you get all the windows updates.

LugwidVanB

Thanks Pat. I saw this from an earlier thread and have it bookmarked. It's a great step by step install complete with screens.

Tom

pat

Indeed, depending on how much time you want to spend with it, you could do it a couple of times. Back when I was sorting out how to do some of these things, I'd just go through it a few times with different configurations just to get a feel for it.

Mark H

Quote from: pat on July 15, 2009, 20:20 hrs
Indeed, depending on how much time you want to spend with it, you could do it a couple of times. Back when I was sorting out how to do some of these things, I'd just go through it a few times with different configurations just to get a feel for it.

The price of being an early adopter of software as I discover evertime I upgrade early.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.