• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Installing Windows Seven with Upgrade Disk

Started by pat, October 25, 2009, 07:30 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

pat

Thought I would start a topic on installing Windows 7 with the upgrade media. This way, for those interested, we can share how we did it and what works.

As mentioned, this is the route I took on my first install with the upgrade media.
I used the upgrade package and installed it to a disk with the Windows 7 RC version already on it. I don't know for sure if that was all it takes to do an clean install as it never lets you know it is doing a "version check for previous qualifying versions". I do know I booted from the cd, and then choose the custom install and wiped out the old and went with the new and activation went just fine. I had unplugged my disk with the Vista install on it and was only going to use it if I had to for verification, so for the time being I'll just dual boot using EasyBCD to add a boot menu.

I have also came across this, which I'll try on my next install to a clean disk.
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

So how did it go for you?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

Thanks for poasting the link, Pat. For my main and secondary systems, I plan on doing a clean installation on freshly formatted hard drives. For my Vista laptop, I'll probably just do an upgrade.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

Pat,

Just to be clear, was it a clean installation that you did? Did you overwrite the beta with a new installation? Or did you simply upgrade the beta, thus keeping whatever programs you installed?

With 3 systems to upgrade, I may consider whatever shortcuts I can to speed things up. I simply don't have the time that it takes to do 3 clean installations.

My main system has 64-bit Win 7 beta installed, along with tons of software that I installed and customized. I wonder if I can get away with just upgrading it instead of doing a clean install. I'm already planning to do an upgrade option on my HP laptop, which has 64-bit Vista installed.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

I did not do an upgrade, it was a clean install. I had nothing on that install I couldn't reload with a minimum of fuss.
Install is fast about 20 minutes or so.

I booted from the CD/DVD, selected custom install, selected advanced options or options, can't remember if it's advanced or not. At that point I deleted the volume that the 7RC was on and the other smaller partition that was on the disk and then put a brand new install on.

That is why I'm not so sure how the installer determines there was a legitimate previous version to use for the install, but as mentioned I had no problem with activation.

I think you can do the upgrade from within the OS you are upgrading, just put the upgrade disk in the drive and let it start. Can't do an upgrade with 32 to 64 bit, 64 to 32 or from XP, must be clean install or migration and I'm not real clear how the various versions go, ultimate to home premium etc.

Check this for what can be done, http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_upgrade.asp
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

Thanks, Pat.

I'll have to decide what to do, but I may very well try to do an upgrade of 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate beta to 64-bit Home Premium - if it's possible. I figure the worst that can happen is that it won't work and I'll have to do a clean install anyway.

Buffalo2102

Hi Scuzzy

According to Microsoft, it is not possible to upgrade from the Windows 7 Beta or Release Candidate to the full version.  However, there may be a way around it if you want to try it - http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_upgrade_windows_7_final_rc.  This might save you having to do clean installs but it is obviously hassle in itself......

Cheers

Buff.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

pat

I remember reading about that now.

The Howtogeek also has that info listed. The main thing that may stop you from upgrading is this blurb at the end.

The Windows 7 beta or RC releases were Ultimate edition, so you�ll only be able to upgrade to the RTM (final) if you are installing Ultimate Edition.

I know you want to get this done with as little fuss as possible, but I'd recommend a clean install.

scuzzy

Thanks for poasting that, Buff.

You are right, Pat. A clean installation is by far the best option, and it is what I always preach. It's just frustrating to have 3 systems to clean install, but not enough time to even do one.

What I will probably end up doing is to install Win7 on my main system, on a fresh hard drive, and slowly get it to where I want as time allows. In the mean time, I'll depend on my trusty WinXP installation on the secondary drive.

pat

In keeping with our standards of not allowing or condoning or otherwise promoting illegal activities, I will put up this from Computer World about the work around(s) to install Windows 7 upgrade edition to a clean disk.

Basically, as long as you own a previous qualifying version and stop using it after you install the new one, you're OK. 

Mark H

Nice. I still need to wait to get a job before I will order Windows 7.

Mark
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

pat

I'm sorry you haven't found work yet Mark. We've been fortunate this year "so far" and haven't been put out yet . I heard on the radio yesterday that the recession is unofficially over, whatever that means. I'm sure you'll find something soon.

I did do another install today, I used the editing registry method and it worked fine. I'll be customizing and installing programs and moving over all my stuff. Once I'm sure I have everything I'll remove the Vista.

Chandler

I've not done an upgrade install of Windows since trying it with XP and having it completely fall over and produce a mess. However, with Windows 7 I decided to give it a shot upgrading from a working Vista install to 7. Surprisingly, it worked flawlessly. There were no old drivers left installed, there were no messy directories (just two hidden folders containing backups of the old program settings, these could be deleted), and not a single issue post-install. I am impressed!