• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Sandra 2001

Started by Neon, May 29, 2001, 08:09 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Neon

A few days ago, I downloaded SiSoft Sandra 2001se, which is a free Windows information and diagnostic utility program for personal use. There is also a professional version for commercial use that contains additional features.

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra

Sandra nicely organizes and presents info about the various subsystems in your computer. I have learned a number of interesting new things about my system. It also has a "Performance Tune-up Wizard" that, on my system at least, lists plenty of tips to improve performance, along with instructions for how to implement them. For example, it suggests that I implement DMA (Direct Memory Access) on my disk drive and CD drives, which is disabled by default in Windows. This is a method of transferring data between a device and memory without CPU involvement. This is faster because the CPU can do other computation in the mean-time.

Sandra also has several benchmark utilities. You can test your overclocked liquid nitrogen cooled Athlon and compare its score to some reference CPUs. And Ace's P-90 if you so choose. ;)

Anyway, standard disclaimer, I am in no way affiliated or associated or allied with SiSoft, just enjoy a neat utility program.

Moved to Software Reviews by Scuzzy as requested by Neon

DISCUSS HERE
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition