• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

370 CPUs

Started by Zearoth, April 10, 2004, 00:39 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Zearoth

Hi, I was wondering how high in terms of clock speed the Celeron/P3 went up to using the 370 MoBos. I have a TUV4X Asus motherboard, and I'm not all that interested in upgrading that, but I am looking into buying a higher ended 370 CPu, now that they are relatively cheap. Along with some cooling devices and overclocking, it should run pretty well...

My question: What is the highest CPU clock speed that was set to a Celeron/P3 CPU compatible with a 370 MoBo?
"Hard work pays off in the future... Laziness pays off now..."

Chandler

For the standard PGA2 S370, the highest speed processorwas the Intel Pentium III 1.0GHz E (133MHz Bus, Coppermine Core).  There was a 1.13GHz model, but it ran too hot, so they introduced the Tualatin which carried the speeds up to 1.4GHz, but require a newer motherboard.  There is the Celeron-S, Pentium III Tualatin, and also the PIII-S for Servers (again needs a different motherboard from the regular Tualatin).

I believe that you can get Coppermine->Tualatin adapters, but I'm not sure how well these work (BIOS support may determine if it works, as well as voltage regulation) but in that case you can get a 1.3GHz Celeron-S.

The 1.2GHz Celeron-S (Tualatin) would be the same speed as a 1.2GHz PIII (Coppermine) - if the PIII CuMine was available at that speed.

To keep things simple, I'd just go for a PIII 1.0GHz, but make sure it's a Coppermine, and not Tualatin.

query

The TUV4X series is Tualatin-compliant -so it will take the 1.4/256 Tualatin.  At least some of them can take the PentiumIII-s (the 512K cache server chips) as well.

Zearoth

Thank you both for the input. I'll look into getting a new CPU.
"Hard work pays off in the future... Laziness pays off now..."