• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

17" LCD Under $200.00

Started by Whizbang, April 02, 2005, 15:08 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

The reviews are all positive, and the warranty is for 3 years, free shipping too.  Only catch is the eight dead pixel return policy, which is not unusual at all.

CMV Monitor

halokid

how hard is it to see a dead pixel?

query

Depends on the resolution of the screen (pixels shrink as you go from XGA to SXGA to UXGA), the reason it's stuck (if it's always off, it won't show up on a black screen but will on white), where it is (pixels at the periphery of the screen are less noticeable), etc.

Apparently the biggest firestorm raging now is over the LCDs used on the Sony PlayStation - a lot of them have defective pixels, and are angry with Sony for allowing so many on such a small screen (five or six dead pixels on that screen become more apparent than the same number on a 17 or 19" LCD).

Whizbang

Quote from: halokid on April 02, 2005, 15:48 hrs
how hard is it to see a dead pixel?
Ace will probably bust that question wide open. I smell a pun coming.   A period is two pixels, top to bottom with 1280 X 1024 resolution on this forum poast with default font size on Mozilla suite browser.  The bottom dot on a "?" is one pixel at this resolution.  If you want to borrow my "old folks" magnifying glass, you can detect the individual pixels.  If you hold the glass just right, you can also see the individual colors in a white pixel.  As you can see, my entertainment is rather bland.    :P