• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Gentle On My Mind

Started by scuzzy, May 31, 2007, 15:02 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

For those of you who know of John Hartford, here's a link to the song that put him on the map:

Gentle On My Mind

Too bad he's no longer with us; he had way too much talent. Just sit back and enjoy.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

I had a 5 string banjo, in college.  What a mistake. 

Ok, so speaking of Glen Campbell...  (look; that was the show they both were on); here's something to seek out.  On the Stone Temple Pilots greatest hits CD, with the DVD included, there is a section on video entries that has Glen Campbell performing Wichita Lineman with the band.  He happens to be one of their heroes.

I own an Ovation acoustic, which is/was Glen's brand.  Funnily, 6 strings is easier than 5.  If they're the right ones.

ace; John was aight.

Ring bells for service.

Bill

You know, I think this poast didn't start out being about your banjo, or guitar. 

Hartford has a performance style like BB King.  Couldn't or didn't play and sing at the same time.  King says Lucille is just a different 'voice.' 

Bill; but it's good music.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Well.  Then consider me "value added."

Ace; wasn't about Lucille, that's for dang sure.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

I decided to put Bill's theory to the test, and I grabbed my daughter's Fender acoustic guitar.

I did my best to pluck the strings and sing at the same time, but I simply didn't have the coordination to pull it off. I failed miserably. Next I tried playing the guitar by itself, and that didn't work. Then I remembered that I don't know how to play a guitar. Lastly I tried singing solo. But I found myself solo after everyone ran out of the house; not being able to take anymore. That's when I remembered that I sing like a camel caught in a bear trap.

Scuzzy; Good thing I didn't try dancing. That would have been a disaster.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bill

Nor Glen Campbell, but what the hey. 
I heard of VARs and SARs but never a VAJ.  Learn somthin' new everyday.

So you got your fingers caught up in the banjo strings.  I'm surprised you can play stringed instruments at all, given the size of your hands.

Bill; Campbell was a rhinestone cowboy.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

"Glen Camel."  That would explain why he looks so weird, these days...  I bet Scuzzy is a lot like that kid in Deliverance, playing an instrument.

Ace; doesn't sound like him, but I bet he resembles him.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Come on now, leave my neighbor out of this...he's only a kid...flash teeth or not.

Bill; sou wee.

Ace

(Be) Gentle With My Mind.
Or that Israeli love song "Gentile On My Mind." 
ok, there's one more but this is a "family forum."  Yes, I think families vacation here instead of going to Disney World or Dollywood or the zoo. 

Ace; maybe it was Disraeli.  Gears. 
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

I guess I'll jump in.  Glen Campbell grew up in Delight, Arkansas, just a "hoot and a holler" from here.  His first wife is not his greatest fan, but Campbell does come back to sing at the Nashville, Arkansas open air theater ever so often, maybe just to rub it in to his former how rich he got.  Of course, he better not rub too hard, because he also is getting ugly too.  And since Scuzzy mentioned John Hartford, it reminds me of one of the most un-heralded singers of the 1950's named John Hartman, somewhat in the mold of Nat King Cole.  I just happened to hear his version of "Unforgettable" a few weeks ago on Pandora.
As for Hartford, he had to be one of the most laid back entertainers of all time.  I honestly do not remember ever hearing a word that he said other than in a song.  I guess he subscribed to "If it ain't worth sing'n', it ain't worth say'n."

saoirse

That guy had some talent!  Thanks for sharing that.

Here's another 6 (albeit 4) string master.  Pure genius...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

Whizbang

I agree, and he does it all without any profanity, vulgarity, or stupidity.  That is pure art without nonsense.  Thanks, and I will pass it on---and probably listen several more times.  A++++   8)

And yet another from this guy