• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

RAM compatibility.

Started by Traveller, October 09, 2009, 16:01 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller

Hi All.

I have just noticed that the RAM which I was planning on buying (DDR3) is rated at 1.8v, however, the motherboard I was planning on buying states 1.5v. I have done a search for this problem on the Internet and this question seems to be quite common. The answers which I have read are usually that the voltage can be changed in BIOS. I checked the motherboard's manual and this is what it says.

DDR3 Voltage Control
Allows you to set memory voltage.
Normal    Supplies the memory voltage as required. (Default)
+0.050V ~ +0.750V  Increases memory voltage by 0.050V to 0.750V at 0.05V increment.
Increasing memory voltage may result in damage to the memory.

I will not be overclocking and do not wish to risk any damage at all to my pc or its components. The problem is I have briefly browsed various types of memory and the voltages are quite varied; 1.5, 1.9, +2, etc. I haven't come across memory at 1.8v so how exactly does a person choose suitable memory for a motherboard? Am I missing something????

Thanks.

Buffalo2102

It shouldn't be an issue.  Most motherboards should have the memory voltage set to auto by default.  In this mode the motherboard will automatically supply the required voltage to the memory.  The adjustments in the BIOS are usually only for overclockers who would set the voltage to manual and then overvolt the memory before increasing the FSB and memory speeds.

The motherboard should not just specify 1.5V but a range of voltages that it supports, or a list of compatible memory.  Looking at the list should give an idea of the voltages supported.  As you have seen, 1.5V is quite low so I suspect that this may be a minimum voltage supported by the motherboard?

If you want to be safe, then Google for people on forums that are already using your board and see what memory they are using.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

pat

What were you planning on buying?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Traveller

Thanks for the good explanation Buff. I understand it clearly now.

Hi Pat. I have decided not to go for the RAM I decided on earlier but haven't yet decided on which I will be going for. I'm still choosing.

Thanks.

Bill

Which motherboard are you considering?

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Traveller

Hi Bill.

MA785GT-UD3H. I have seen RAM which is 1.5v (same as the motherboard) and may go for that instead. Might reduce the chances of any problems.

Thanks.

Bill

This link will take you to the Gigabyte page for the MB.  On the right lower section is a link to qualified memory brands and speeds.    http://tinyurl.com/yz3w3fx

May answer your questions.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit