• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

PLYMOUTH ROCK(S)

Started by Ace, November 21, 2007, 15:28 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

It occurred to me, that on this eve of The Great Feast Day of Thanksgiving, that the holiday is typically associated with the landing of Pilgrims on Plymouth Rock, and said feast which followed.

So, much in line with "Worst Movies Ever" may I nominate "Worst Excuse For A(n) Historical Rock Protruberance Of Suspect Historical Significance, and Minimal Visual Appeal."  That, being Plymouth Rock.  For those whom might venture to Plymouth to gaze upon the magnificence of "The Rock," let me assure you it's no big thing.  Desk sized.  About the size of a Plymouth.  Neon. Which I owned, and was about as unimpressive as is Plymouth Rock, although it made more noise by squeaking continually.  I will say Plymouth Rock doesn't squeak.  It just sits there in its solemn pit.  Do NOT envision some outcropping, piercing the sky above the sea as a marker for the brave souls whom ventured here.  Uh uh.  Just a boulder.  Earthtoned.  A Rock.  That's it. 

I would add that it actually bears an uncanny resemblance to the "Giant Panda" I witnessed at the National Zoo, which is also mythic and myth.  A panda is not "Giant."  There are probably some Chocolate Labs that outweigh them.  And, just as the Plymouth Rock isn't impressively large, it also lies motionless, making it an easier target if passersby might want to spit on it.  And so, the panda.  Which lied motionless, curled up in its not very bigness, in the corner of a caged pen.  Dirty, damp, dank, and dorky.  If you ever head East to see both, you'll see.  Rock=panda.  Same difference.  Of course, I'm sure the pilgrims would NOT have wanted to set foot upon a panda, upon landing in America.  Or India, or whichever they were thinking at the time.  I mean, I'd pick the Rock for footing and as a welcome mat.  But still, not a lot to differentiate between them.  At least the Rock is dead.  And about as lively, as a panda. 

Not only would the Pilgrims have jumped back on the boat, screaming, and hightailed it outta here if they would've met with a panda, but I'd figure the Native Americans would've followed them, realizing they were sharing space with pandas.  I'll guarantee it would not have been one of the buffet items on the celebratory meal, either.

So anyway, ironically, Plymouths are extinct.  Pandas hopefully too, soon.  Plymouth Rock, as far as what's left of it, not like it ever was much of anything anyway, is a done deal as well.  Good thing Plymouth never made a car called the "Panda."  Also, I bet that actor "The Rock" never owned a Plymouth, either.  And none of them "rock."  Cleveland Rocks, but not these pitiful things.

Heh.  "Pitiful."  as in "stupid rock, on display, in a pit." 

Ace; you could drop 23 lb. Butterball turkey down in there, and it would not only be bigger it'd be more impressive.  Pilgrims probably would've chosen a frozen turkey as a landing, anyway, if they had to pick between these.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

When the going gets slow, we recycle, usually and, often.  If this is Black Friday coming up, could Satan Claws be far behind?  Bring it on! A pleasure, as always.

William the Scot; yeah, you're still right.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Are you saying, that on this commemoration of feasting on Coronas, Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, and various and sundry other high carb high cal nutritionally suspect substances that I am
REPEATING...??,,,?

Ace; could be.  Heh; Satan Claus, Rudolph, the Elves... cool.  Then I get to take off a week for Easter.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Thanks, J, for backing me on that.  Yes, it's fenced.  Well, not like in "stolen" then "sold".... nobody's gonna pay anything for that.  Plus, lifting an inert rock would be like trying to get a panda to move out of its own way.

I'm trying to figure out why it's necessary to say "inert rock"...  Unless you're in Colorado, under a mountain, I think they all pretty much are.  Pennsylvania has those road signs about "watching out" for noninert rocks.  Like there's much you can do about it.  Hey; speaking of movie reviews, "Armageddon" was a pretty good movie about non-inert rocks.

Alright; check out those Plymouth Rock web sites with actual photos.  That'll show you and waste some time before football comes on. 

Ace; I'm a trypto-fan
Ring bells for service.

pat

Well, I think it's a good story. I've never been to Plymouth Rock and I might not ever get there and between Ace's rendition and a quick look at the place on the net, really, why bother?

I have been down to Plymouth and just like most of the rest of Indiana, all they have down there is corn. Whoever said there's more than corn in Indiana must have been a politician.

We are getting our first Lake Effect snow today, probably won't amount to much or be around long but will give me the day off from finishing raking up the rest of the leaves.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

I always drive around Plymouth, just to get to Indy.  They have a blueberry festival, but I hate blueberries, so no thrill there.

You know what's weird, is after last night our leaves are GONE.

Oh. Hold it...

Ace; stupid snow.
Ring bells for service.

pat

The Misses made up a batch of cranberry-blueberry stuff for the dinner yesterday and while I love blueberries, I just abhor cranberries.  But I must say the final product was quite tasty, just like eating pie without the crust, mmmmmm, was that good.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

I'm not gonna answer offline; I'm never offline.  I'm off color, but not offline.

Geez, yes, I hate blueberries.  What part of "I hate blueberries" was unclear?  I don't much care for cranberries, either.  I'll do cranapple juice.  I used to like crabapples, to shoot out of a slingshot. 

You know, we have a new holiday tradition for Thanksgiving.  We forget to put out the cranberry sauce.  Naturally, I don't miss it.  But it's happened now for a few straight, so there must be some mental block against seeing it appear on the table.

Maybe if you mix cranberries and blueberries, they neutralize each other and come out ok. 

I tried a different stuffing, one year.  A sausage and cornbread casserole thing.  Sorta cajun. My gosh, it was horrendous.  Inedible.  Just gross.  Anymore, I just stick with the things I like.  The bird.  The potatoes.  The sweet potatoes, but only if in butter and brown sugar.  Gravy.  That'll do, pig.  I have tried to like blueberries; they always look good.  I can't explain how they taste, to me... sort of like a bitter, bland, bad thing.  Just can't go there.

If you are inviting me over, here's the stuff I don't want to encounter:

1. Panda  2. Blueberries  3. Celery  4. Pineapple  5. Cranberry  6.  Coconut  7. Hard boiled egg  8. Grapefruit  7. Liver  6. Walnuts  5. Pecans 

I mean, there's more... none of the "weird" fruit, like pomegranetes or kiwi or goofy stuff like that.  Oh, and no gin, either.  Some of these were things I used to like, and eat, and then "od'd" on.  Or things I used to do, like sweet wines, which now gag.  Or things I dearly love, like chocolate, which suddenly seems to want to kill me.  I don't know what I did to it, but it's obviously upset with me about something.

Ace; making me upset with it.
Ring bells for service.

pat

I've developed a particular fondness for the very dark chocolate 70-85% with no added milk stuff, just the chocolate and a little sugar. Gosh that stuff is great, I use to go for the milk chocolate stuff, but not anymore.

I think I'm ready to try one of those turduckens, those look sort of interesting. I may just go out and get a turkey, duck and chicken and put one inside the other and see what comes out in the end.

Ace

I wish there was more I could say about an old rock, visually unimpressive, neither large nor imposing, down in a pit surrounded by a fence.  But, I'm tapped.

Is there a list of favorites?

Ace; why, yes, there is.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Actually I was never sure if I was spelling "Missus" correctly or not and as I was too lazy to look it up I'm thankful Ja did. So here it is 3 days past Thanksgiving and I'm still finding things to be thankful for. That and that New York strip dinner I had at Outback today. Cooked to medium with the sweet potato with butter and brown sugar and the steamed vegetables in butter sauce.

Dang, life is good...........