• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Music and pictures corrupt.

Started by ingeborgdot, November 26, 2008, 16:46 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ingeborgdot

I will try to explain as well as I can.  My friend has been having some slight computer problems lately so I went over to take a look.  The first problem that the screen would get a lot of jibberish on it.  Pixels or what ever.  I tried a new cable and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and no go.  I installed a new driver and the same.  Finally I tried a new video card and it worked great.  That is just the first of the problem.  I then noticed that one of his hdd on his raid 1 had gone bad so I took it out and got it replaced.  In the meantime when I restarted his computer it did a disc check and did some things I had never seen before but it completed the check on the good disc.  All seemed to be working well until a few days ago he said that his music was doing crazy things so I went over to take another look.  I played a song and it would start in the middle of the song and play a whole nother song.  I would play Queen and Celine would come on but it would start in the middle of one of her songs.  Not all the songs are like that though.  We never did count but I would venture to say at least half are still good.  I then just out of curiosity went to his pictures and they also had problems.  A couple of them would show up and the others would not.  They still showed they had 1.6mb or 2mb in each folder for the pictures but nothing would show up.  He mentioned something about some power surges but he is proteced with a battery backup ups from APC.  What does it sound like to you?
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Mark H

It sound like the NTFS file system may be corrupt if it is windows 2000, XP or Vista. If the file system is messed up, it will have to be rebuilt. Does your friend have backups of the files?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

ingeborgdot

Nope.  He thought the raid 1 would take care of it.  It helped to not have to redo the os and all when one hard drive just went bad also but he has no external backup.  He is now getting one.
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Mark H

Even with RAID 1, backups should be kept. If a file is deleted accidentally, it is removed on both RAID 1 drives. If a file gets corrupted, it gets corrupted on both RAID 1 drives, which is what I think may have happened.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

ingeborgdot

I know, that's what I told him.  He is now getting an external hdd.