• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Fireworks

Started by Chandler, November 12, 2004, 16:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Should fireworks be banned from purchase by the public?

Yes
4 (66.7%)
No
2 (33.3%)
Unsure
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Chandler

In these times of increased terrorist thread I find it unbelievable how readily available fireworks are in November.  Also they are a complete nuisance, bonfire night is supposed to be November 5th, not before, not after.  Yet, they start going off mid-October and persist all through November to the annoyance of considerate people.

This morning, my neighbour awoke to find that his bedroom window is broken, it isn't broken all the way through but it has a spiderweb patterning to it.  At first he suspected vandals had thrown stones at the windows but when he went outside he discovered remnants of a firework underneath the window.  It seems that a stray firework (from one of the houses that back onto us - they were letting them off last night) had come down and hit the window on the way down.  If these hadn't been double glazed windows it would probably have gone right through and set fire to the curtains or whatever.

I propose that fireworks should only be available for organised events, they shouldn't be let into the hands on inbred fools who don't give a hoot about people around them.  It is now illegal to let them off after 11pm but these were going off long after that.  If it had been our window that was broken, the police would definately have been involved.

Ace

Geez Louise Chandler; "bonfire night"...?  I hadn't heard of that.  Over here we just try to blow ourselves up in commemoration of our independence.  Mostly independent of sound judgement and safe practices.  That lasts from June through a couple weeks after the 4th of July.  Say; do you guys have a 4th of July in England...?

Ok, never mind that.  We have "bonfire night" along with "Trash cars night" and "go around drunk and create mayhem night" in major cities after the local team wins the championship.  Or "Trash cars burn stuff loot and pillage night" if the local team loses the championship...

I'd like to hear about more unusual celebrations around the globe; like:

"blow up the police recruits night" in Iraq
"Nuclear Device Night" in Iran.  and N. Korea.
"Aim the Dang Thing at Japan Night" - just N. Korea.
"Balance On the edge of the Volcano Crater Night."
"Javelin Catch Night"
"Grenade Russian Roulette Night"
"Horizontal Rain Night" - Florida
wait:  "Horizontal Rain Month" - Florida
"Coffin Keep-Away Night" - somewhere in the Mideast...

Ace; you wonder how we made it to the top of the food chain...
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

Heh! "go around drunk and create mayhem night" is every Saturday in most major cities in the UK - directly after the soccer usually (or any other excuse come to that).

I agree about the fireworks and bonfire night.  Bonfire night should be just that - one night.  And fireworks should only be sold to organised displays, the organisers of which should have to apply for a licence.

However, you've just reminded me of my REAL pet hatred which is the fact that Xmas seems to start in August and lasts at least four or five months!  I don't consider myself a Scrooge-type character, but why do we have to have it thrust down our throats every day for nearly half a year when all it leads up to is having to spend time with and be nice to relatives that you don't really like that much?  We all give gifts that we think other people will like when in reality they would much rather have the cash, or would rather be off down the pub with their mates anyway.  Sure, if you've got kids and that, it's really nice for them and the whole family, but does it have to become the biggest focus and financial drain of the year?

Oh, dangit!  I've hijacked Chandler's thread - Sorry, I'd better start a new one.

Stupid red wine again.......
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Neon

I think that sale of "consumer grade" fireworks should not be banned. Although we are living in the "Post 9/11 Environment", which is used to justify almost any legislation/unjustifiable fear/white sale at Sears, the terrorists will not be attacking us with sparklers or M80s.

After the Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City was blown up, some people called for a ban on the sale of ammonium nitrate, which was a component of the bomb, and is also widely used as fertilizer. Although there are rumors that the feds monitor suspicious sales of ammonium nitrate, sales have not been banned.

Laws on use of fireworks vary considerably from state to state and municipality in the USA. Some places have banned them for safety reasons or to reduce the risk of brush fires in particularly arid climates.

Excepting the last reason, I think it is reasonable to allow sales to adults, with the proviso that they be used only on approved firing ranges and/or areas well outside of city limits.

As for bonfire night, they used to have it at Texas A&M until a few years ago: bonfire
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Ace

I'd forgotten about the A&M tragedy... what a bummer.  Here in Michiana ("magical".. "Mystical"..."moribund"...) you can buy any manner of skyrockets and pyro-devices which are illegal to USE but ok to purchase as long as you "promise" not to actually set them off...

There ya go...

Ace; I gotta try that manure bomb on my neighbor...
Ring bells for service.