• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

16 bit win subsystem error

Started by Computeradict, July 26, 2004, 17:21 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Computeradict

Hi everyone got a problem here with a Hewlett Packard. When I try to install a game on it that is designed for windows XP I get an error screen popping up saying

16 bit windows subsystem.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT

The system is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application.

Now the computer has XP Home installed and updated. Every game I seem to try to install results in this error. This same game installs fine on one of  my other PC's. Anybody offer any suggestions ?

Thanks.

~Computeradict~
~THE-COMPUTER-ADICT~       ;-)

query

Poast the content of your file (it's just a text file, load it in notepad, copy and paste) and we'll see what's there.

Computeradict

QuotePosted by: query       Posted on: Today at 06:49:48pm
Poast the content of your file (it's just a text file, load it in notepad, copy and paste) and we'll see what's there.

This new to me query what do you mean by poast the content of my file? Sorry if that is a dumb question. But drawing a blank on it.  ???

query

Open the file in notepad, and copy and paste the content of the file into a new poast so we can take a look at it.

Computeradict

The file is on disk query and not already installed. When I try to that disk or any game disk to install it gives this error. On any other computer it is fine.

query

That may be the problem.  The file should be there, in your \windows\system32 folder.  Copy it from another system if you have one, or copy the text below into a file, name it autoexec.nt, and save it.

------------CUT HERE ----------------------
@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
--------------CUT HERE-------------------------------------

Computeradict

Ok query. I wasa totally  misunderstanding you. I thought you want me to copy the file I was trying to install, and that's what was not making sense to me. Sorry about that. I will try what you have told me here and I will poast back the results. Thanks for the help.

Computeradict

That did the trick query thanks alot!!! Games install now no prob. Thanks for help.