• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

adsl modem and shutdown hang

Started by cainecarter, October 04, 2002, 14:48 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

cainecarter

Scratching my head on this and need some help, please.

Two days ago, got myself an adsl connection through a Zyxel Prestige USB modem. Great so far, superfast and all that.......
except that when I want to shut down the laptop, no dice. It just sticks at a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left of the screen.

Something still running in the background? Driver conflict? Tried following the Microsoft Troubleshooter, and have found no answer. What I have managed to do is 'disappear' the standby option from the shutdown menu ( APM was a feature but now seems to be absent from the System Devices) and cannot get it back (have tried to get the Hardware Wizard to detect it but it doesn't.

I have Windows ME, which has always been a little strange on the shutdown front - though nothing major.

Any ideas, folks?

John

cainecarter, disconnect the usb modem and then restart and see if the problem is still present.
Cogito Ergo Sum

cainecarter

Yes, thanks, but already did that. If I don't connect to my isp at all, the laptop shuts down with no problems. Only after I have connected then disconnected from the dial up networking panel does the shutdown problem occur.

Any suggestions?

John

cainecarter, do you have a DSL line filter installed on the line between DSL line and modem. What make and model is the notebook and do you have a router set up with the system. What model # is the Prestige modem. Last but not least have you contacted the folks at                                     ZyXEL support.
Cogito Ergo Sum