• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Can't make printer work wireless

Started by LugwidVanB, May 09, 2009, 01:36 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

LugwidVanB

I�m assisting a friend in setting up her computer to operate wireless. I installed Linksys router WRT54G successfully so her HP Pavilion Notebook has wireless internet access. I tried to set up her printer to operate wireless but can�t. It�s an HP Laser Jet 2605dn. It works fine hard wired and is listed as the default printer. I got a tip in a web site to do two things:

First, she has XP. Go into ctl panel and click Printers and Faxes. Click the printer icon, then select Share Printer. I get a screen that says click OK to share this printer. It seems to work but I don�t know how to verify that it is now part of the network. Can�t find how to check this.

Then, open ctl panel again and click Printers and other Hardware to make the printer operation wireless. Click Printer and a Wizard comes up that gives you 3 options: Browse for printer, Local or Network Printer. I chose Network first. It did a search and did not come up with a list of printers as it indicated it would. The list only says ââ?¬Å?Microsoft Windows Networkââ?¬Â and clicking that results in nothing. Choosing Browse and Local doesnââ?¬â?¢t do anything either.

Input here would be greatly appreciated.

pat

How many computers on on this network? If only the one, the router has to support wireless printing and the printer connected to the router. Otherwise you need to have another computer connected to the network that is connected to the printer to act as the server and the system needs to be on.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LugwidVanB

There is just the laptop. How do I determine if the router supports wireless printing and the printer connected to the router? Thanks

pat

Looks like I'm wrong about what I said, you should be able to print with your setup with the printer connected to the router.

Check this document from MS and see it fit helps. Scroll down to number 4.

https://www.microsoft.com/canada/smallbiz/products/howto/setupwireless.mspx
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Mark H

Wen you go to the pinter wizard, you need to select a local printer. When you select that, you then get to a screen to select a port. Make sure you select a new port.  You then select a port name that is the IP address of your printer's built in printer server, or you enter the name of the print server. My Linksys PSUS4 is listed as port \\LK3D0584\P1 in my setup.

You must determine the pinter's built in print server name first.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

LugwidVanB

Thanks for the input. Mark I get the dialog boxes you mentioned. I chose local and get a screen with a dropdown list of ports. The one already chosen for this printer is USB001 so I added a printer with this info. It won't work wireless. I checked the box that says Create New Port and I chose Local. For name I entered the Local IP address that got me into Lindsyx data screens with their techs over the phone. That address is 192.168.1.1 which I entered in the url box. At that site it has several data lines including a line that says IP: 98.219.34.43. I tried that and it didn�t work. There are a few other lines with numbers such as Gateway and Submask which I didn�t try.

After adding a printer the box says do you want to print a test page. The only one that printed out a page was with the port USB001.

How do you determine the printer�s build in print server name? Thanks

LugwidVanB

I've been doing this with the computer on wireless and the printer connected to the computer. Should the computer be connected to the router and the printer plugged into the computer?

Mark H

I a switch with the following connections:

1. ethernet from my ipcop firewall PC where the internet comes in.
2. ethernet to my main PC
3. ethernet to my photography pc
4. ethernet to my Linksys PSUS4 print server, which has a printer connected to it.
5. ethernet to a wireless router to give me a wireless connection to my laptop and PS3.

From any PC, I can print. Do you have the print driver installed? You might try with a third party print server like I did with my Linksys PSUS4.

Mark H

LugwidVanB

I dl the hp drivers and the printer installed with no problem. I have no idea how to set up a 3rd party print server or even what it is.

Mark H

Any of the print servers should have directions, but I would think that you should be able to get the HP built-in one to work. Do you have it connected to the router with an ethernet cable as I think you probably do?

If you go to "my network places" and then select "view workgroup computers," do you see the print server of the HP printer? That would become your local port name. If it was HP3458D1, then your local print server port should be setup as \\HP3458D1.

Also, when you install the printer software driver, install it as if the printer is connected directly to the PC if you are setting up the port manually as I am describing.

You might even try HP's website and check into customer support with HP since it is their product that you can't get setup.

Mark

LugwidVanB

I called a good computer repair shop and they said this printer can't operate wireless unless it is plugged directly into the router.

pat

I thought you did have it plugged into the router otherwise it would not be connected to the system(s) network.

LugwidVanB

No. That was the next step. I was trying to make it operate just like the comjputer, no physical connections other than the wall plug.

Mark H

I was thinking that your printer was connected to a router by an ethernet cable all this time. The only way that printer will ever work wirelessly is if you have a wireless receiver connected to the printer. In either case, you have to have the printer physically connected to a router of some type or a wireless point of presence.

Mark H

pat

Agreed, to go completely wireless you will need a wireless print server to plug your printer into or one of the newer printers with a wireless print sever built in.

You should be able to connect the printer to the network though with a ethernet cable and set it up that way, that link I posted up there gave some good directions on how to do it.

I have wireless printing on my system, but it goes from the router, to my hard wired computer to the printer. My computer has to be on for this to work and just uses print sharing.

In your case it would go  computer (wireless) to router to printer.

LugwidVanB

Thanks for all your input. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Unfortunately, the lady has a small apt and wants the computer in one room and the router in another room too far for a cable to reach.

Buffalo2102

How about the power network adapters (network through the lady's power sockets)?  Not the cheapest I know but it would work.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

LugwidVanB

Hey Buff. Can you explain specifically how to do that for someone new to networiking and wireless?

Buffalo2102

It's not wireless but it saves running cables through the house.

Do a Google for Homeplug and you should find something on it.  Basically you just buy a couple of homeplugs and plug them into two home power sockets that you want to network between.  The just plug in your devices (via ethernet) and off you go.

This might be useful with your issue as you could connect the printer to the router using wire, without running any wires between the rooms.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

LugwidVanB

Thanks. I'll research it and let you know.