• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Reinstalling XP on Laptop

Started by okie11, February 07, 2005, 17:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

okie11

Hi folks I'm trying to reinstall Xp Pro on my Laptop and I'm trying to boot from the CD but when I reboot the computer it boots from the hard drive instead. I've already changed the boot sequence in the Bios and when I restart the Laptop the DVD/CD drive starts to spin but then just boots normally. Any thing I might be doing wrong? any suggestions?

query

Are you "pressing any key to boot from CD" when the message appears?

If so, try the disc in another system. If it works, it sounds like the CD drive is faulty.  If it doesn't, the disc itself is probably at fault.

okie11

i figured it out I need to use an XP Boot disk on 6 floppys

query

No, you shouldn't - if the system won't boot from the  CD, there is something seriously wrong, unless it's a VERY old system (like a Pentium class machine), which probably won't run XP in the first place.

okie11

well this is how i did it last time and it worked on my laptop and my pc and it's currently working right now just waiting for the 6th disk to finish loading all the files

Ghost

I've seen this problem before where a cdrom just won't boot to disk on some pc's. The cdrom itself seems to run fine but it never gives you that option "press any key to boot from disk" and my only option at that time was to boot with 6 floppy's. I'm not sure if this is a sign off a cdrom going or if its more a compatiblity thing. The particular machine I was working on at the time was a IBM Vista something.
1. Asus P4P800 SE 3.0Ghz Intel with hyper threading and 1 Gig of OCZ premium 400Mhz dual RAM. <br />2. Averatec 3200 series AMD 2000 laptop with 256MB\'s of RAM

Chandler

I've found that the "Insyde" BIOS refuses to boot any of my XP boot discs, either slipstreamed on CD-R or original media.  The same drive in my other laptop (with AMIBIOS) boots them fine.