• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Word Processor with Excel Features

Started by JimS, June 23, 2008, 19:48 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

JimS

I'd like to create a server-based maintenance and trouble-shooting log for the seven analyzers I and others operate at work.  Currently this is done with a Word file for each system, but what I'd really like is for there to be one file with seven different "worksheets", a la Excel.  Is there a way to make Word do this?  Or is there another program someone could recommend?

Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

JimS

While I'm here, I thought I'd bump this back up to the top...
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Buffalo2102

Is Word format the only format option available to you?  Can the logs be produced or saved in any other format?
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

JimS

Thanks, Buff.  Word being as ubiquitous as it is, I wasn't aware of other format possibilities, but no, it doesn't have to be a .docx format.  The most important requirement is ease of use.  What do you have in mind?
- Stephen Grellet

Buffalo2102

I was just thinking that I have seen several applications for combining server logs and also applications for combining the contents of text files.

For instance, Txtcollector is a freeware application that claims to combine the contents of multiple text files.  I doubt if it does it automatically though.  You may be able to adapt this or something similar to your needs.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.