• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

My MSI K7N2 Delta Arrived--->With Surprise!

Started by Whizbang, January 05, 2004, 19:51 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I have never before seen a mobo packaged with standard IDE ribbons each folded over on its length and wrapped in a protective sheath.  That design is better than the exotic round cables sold on line that glow in the dark, sparkle-in-ultraviolet,...etc, because the IDE ribbon teflon cover extends all the way to the connector, a glaring weakness to "normal" round cable design (and I have some) that truncate the teflon sheath near the connectors and leave a very weak unprotected strip just at the bending point of high stress.  MSI packaging is superb on this baby.  Where are these cables available on line?

I just noticed that the brand name is Comax.

Tranquility_Base

u can find these cables in almost all computer shops. Theyre pretty cheap too, but more expensive than the non-rounded ones. The good thing is tht they dont block airflow in the case becoz they're thin.

Whizbang

You are right about the computer shops having them.  That is the first place I saw them.  They actually are stronger than the round cables because of the design.  I just wish I could find an online source.  The round cables really stand out, especially under UV light, but they do not have the strength of these folded cables.  Thanks for the reply.

Chandler

The rounded cables I bought have a metallic braiding around them, then covered with plastic.  The ends, however, feel very weak - they're just loose fitting plastic covers.  The only +ve point of this is that you can orient them however you want, but I still prefer traditional flat cables, now that I've tried both.

Tranquility_Base

With the cables that come with MSI the rounding goes all the way to the top so tht it surrounds ends except for the part plugging into the drive, so its more solid.

Whizbang

Quote from: Tranquility_Base on January 07, 2004, 14:44 hrs
With the cables that come with MSI the rounding goes all the way to the top so tht it surrounds ends except for the part plugging into the drive, so its more solid.
The big difference is that the standard flat cable Teflon covering is not removed but is still intact all the way to the end of the cable.  That gives strength as well as flexibilty, and MSI (or whoever made them) does a super job of folding that flat cable so that it fits very compactly into the sheath.  After seeing all the offerings and having flat, round and the folded/round MSI, I definitely prefer the MSI cables as long as I don't get cross-talk interference.  They are smaller and much more flexible in all planes than either of the other two types at the connection points.