• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

dvd burning...

Started by ahopeter, December 14, 2003, 00:58 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and it seems great.  i have a question about burning dvd's.  i just got a dvd burner, discs, and "Sonic record now"... but when i try to burn a dvd i get an error message telling me that my destination disc isnt long enough to record all the info on the original dvd.  but the discs i bought are 4.7gb and the guy at the store told me they were fine and that it was probably the program.  what am i doing wrong... is the program the problem? sorry if this is a dumb question but im really not good with computers...thanks so much!
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

query

How much data are you trying to put onto the disc?  Or are you trying to copy a pre-recorded DVD?

If you're trying to copy another DVD, it sounds like the source disc is copy protected - one way to do that is to use a filesystem trick to make the disc appear to have too much data to copy.

ahopeter

yes, im trying to make a"backup" copy of my dvd movies... i heard its do able...no?  thanks for the reply.
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

query

Probably not without a specialized utility like DVD X-Copy.  Most standard writer packages will not copy, copy protected DVDs.

ahopeter

DVD X Copy?!? is that what i should be buying? that'll let me copy dvd's?  thanks, im truly impressed with the knowledge.

query

It will, though some discs simply cannot be copied.

ahopeter

any recommends on where i can get a good deal?  sorry if im bugging you with dumb questions.

query

There are three versions - standard, gold and platinum - ranging from about $60, to $80 through $150 - decide which one you're looking for, and then do some pricing (www.froogle.com).  

ahopeter

nice, thanks alot for replying.